I've been having frequent out-of-memory errors, despite enabling virtual memory on my device as I have read from other related threads. I've also checked for internal memory card corruption errors that is posted on the forums here and addressed that. Other than enabling virtual memory, are there other ways of getting rid of the "out of memory" errors? (Note: I use emails fairly often using the default client; I'm wondering if those saved emails play a factor in those frequent errors as 47.0 mb is taken up by "other files" from what I saw on the control panel). Also, is it possible to use more than 128 mb from the internal memory card for program installation or email storage?

the only thing i keep in the device memory is a mp3 playlist for mediaplayer. once in a while i delete sent messages from the email client. i've not run out of memory ever.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe add an additional element. I thought I read that using virtual memory can "wear out" the internal memory card. Or is that only a problem for somebody using their N810 24/7? What's the real verdict on using virtual memory?

George

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
You can clone your OS either to the internal memory (2GB) or to a sd-card. Then your device will be set to boot from that device and all that memory will be available to you for system usage. Additionally you can set up a swap partition just like you would on any other Linux system. With that (and 256MB swap) I've never run out of memory ever. All these topics have been discussed on this forum in length and can be found using the forum search. (At least if not flooded by N900 theads...)

Originally Posted by george_seifert View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe add an additional element. I thought I read that using virtual memory can "wear out" the internal memory card. Or is that only a problem for somebody using their N810 24/7? What's the real verdict on using virtual memory?

George
i've read that the screen or other hardware are likely to die first.

Originally Posted by stanigator View Post
Note: I use emails fairly often using the default client; I'm wondering if those saved emails play a factor in those frequent errors as 47.0 mb is taken up by "other files" from what I saw on the control panel).
There is a bug in Modest default email client. The contents of emails are cached in the internal memory. But when you remove these emails, this cached information stays present. So modest will slowly fill up your internal memory, even when you remove these emails.

So I got exactly the same problem as you. But after removing these cached information about 50Mb memory was free again!

How to remove these cached emails?

From X terminal, goto the map:

cd /home/user/.modest/cache/mail/pop/<user_name>/cache/

(where <user_name> is the user name of your email account)

Now remove all cached mails:

rm -rf *

(be carefull using this command, you have to be sure you are in the correct map, removing all directories cannot be undone).

Because I did not want to clean up this cache over and over again, I made a symbol link from /home/user/.modest/cache/mail/pop to my external memory card. Works perfectly.

FYI, this bug is listed here.

zwerfkat, does that email cache get deleted if you do a "clear device"?

Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
zwerfkat, does that email cache get deleted if you do a "clear device"?
Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean reflashing the device? Or is this a special feature at the configuration screen? Currently I do not have access to my device to check this.

Anyway, when you remove the account settings from Modest, this cache folder will also be removed. So that might be an option as well to see how much memory was lost.

go to control panel/menu/clear device. i do this ca. every 6 months. it's not a reflash. i wonder if that email cache is reinstalled with the emails backed up in Back Up (when you install the Back Up)? or should we deselect emails in Back Up?