Active Topics

I have also improved my significantly buy puting my email on 8 to 24 hours notification. Actually, if I could find it I would just turn the notification for email off and I can check it as I want to. I don't need to see each email as it comes in---very nice feature but don't need it on all the time.
Also, keep my bluetooth off until I need to use it.

I am sure there are others too as I go along.

Thanks,
Bob

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
All these widgets really need a "don't update between 24:00-08:00"-setting.
Not for people who sleep irregular hours. I'm just as likely to be up at 3 a.m. and asleep at 3 p.m. Next week it will be different.

i am facing battery drainage problem...i installed cssu,speedpatch nd overclocked my device.my device is always overclocked to 700mhz. today i had 94% charge and started to listen music..after 40mins the battery was 80%.i played music player with someplayer.how to increase battery life.is it usual? i followed all the steps like brightness and all.help plz

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by trisha02 View Post
i am facing battery drainage problem...i installed cssu,speedpatch nd overclocked my device.my device is always overclocked to 700mhz. today i had 94% charge and started to listen music..after 40mins the battery was 80%.i played music player with someplayer.how to increase battery life.is it usual? i followed all the steps like brightness and all.help plz
1. remove the overclock - it will use battery

2. use the std media player, it has optimisations to use the hardware facilities that someplayer may not have

3. turn off GPS, Bluetooth, FM transmitter, WIFI, 3G (turn on 2G), and use wired headphones.

4. turn off IM chat (facebook, gtalk, skype, etc)

5. shorten the length of time the display stays lit, and the brightness level

Do not leave browser windows open - this is a big drain in my experience, close them down soon as you are finished

Get a bigger battery. A car battery in a rucksak with a car charger connected will make a useful extra battery for your phone, and will also give it a cool retro look of early cellphones.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
These are all valid tips, but one thing I totally can not comprehend is Bluetooth (same with android devices BTW).

Why is my Symbian S60 Nokia has BT on 24x7 and battery lasts for many days, and N900 or other modern smartphone need BT off to conserve energy. Is BT designed with more power requirement these days, or what's up?

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
sorry to reopen this.. but i have a doubt.. i have removed the widgets as said.. i have only media player widget.. whenever i switch my GPRS(2G internet) connection battery drains quickly.. i have overclocked my N900 to a clock speed of 800mhz and i also use smart reflex and save cpu..the max life of my battery if i use GPRS is only 3hrs.. i have switched my wifi,and bluetooth.. can anyone tell me whats the problem?

Originally Posted by visN900 View Post
sorry to reopen this.. but i have a doubt.. i have removed the widgets as said.. i have only media player widget.. whenever i switch my GPRS(2G internet) connection battery drains quickly.. i have overclocked my N900 to a clock speed of 800mhz and i also use smart reflex and save cpu..the max life of my battery if i use GPRS is only 3hrs.. i have switched my wifi,and bluetooth.. can anyone tell me whats the problem?
Perhaps it has more to do with the mobile network configuration than the device itself. Is the signal level the same on 2G as in 3G? Since the physical frequencies used to communicate are different it might have to do with the terrain or network set up. My N900 lasts way longer now as I have first turned off "switch to wifi when available" and also changed UMTS (3G) to GSM (2G) mode.

Tags
battery, battery life, extend, fremantle, guide, ideas, improve, maemo, maemo 5, n900, power, runtime