Active Topics

I really believe, had the "leaked firmware" come from any other source than a Chinese person, the entire reception would be different.

Even now, among the countless PR1.2 threads, the one sticky is given to a warning thread and not an full diclosure thread. I really think we need solid information and testing, and not a hushed forum full of locked and renamed threads.

We all joined these forums in order to gather and discuss maemo, yet I have to wade through all the superiority complexes in order to find useful information and constructive discussion.

jiao wo jia ren, not wai ren.

The Following User Says Thank You to Konceptz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
The leaked firmware has been breaking people's phones. It was designed for the China-specific hardware I believe. It has nothing to do with nationalism.

Not to mention it's also a month old at the very least.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Not to mention it's also a month old at the very least.

a month old is how many months newer than 1.11?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Konceptz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
At least month of not enough of testing for new bug fixes and features that 1.11 got nothing to do.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
I really believe, had the "leaked firmware" come from any other source than a Chinese person, the entire reception would be different.

Even now, among the countless PR1.2 threads, the one sticky is given to a warning thread and not an full diclosure thread. I really think we need solid information and testing, and not a hushed forum full of locked and renamed threads.

We all joined these forums in order to gather and discuss maemo, yet I have to wade through all the superiority complexes in order to find useful information and constructive discussion.

jiao wo jia ren, not wai ren.
Haven't noticed any anti-chinese rhetoric during this whole mess. Could you point to a post with western superiority complex? I wasn't even aware that the leak was from china. Just that it came from someone called 'caviar' who hadn't made any posts before the leak.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I'm thikin' some guy at Toyota used the same pretzel logic.

Development is not linear.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I test this PR1.2 on my device and found a few problems with the Font for other language support to be too small to read. For example in my case Khmer/Cambodian font.

Whereas in PR1.1.1 the font size is very big and easily readable.
Anyone know how to fix this?
Attached Images

Could you point me in the direction of the N900 leaked firmware releases from other locations that had a different reception?

Could you point out to me the posts that have talked about the(possible) chinese origin of the release being the reason for mistrust.

Could you tell the people that have had problems how they should keep quiet about them so as not to draw inferences on the (possible) chinese origin of those problems?

Could you explain why the country it was leaked from would have any bearing on whether unreleased, unknown origin, unknown function, unknown purpose, unknown reliability firmware where it's not known what functionality is available, the state of that functionality the future upgrade path of that firmware, the product codes that it is expected to work with, the languages it works with and whether someone might have tampered with any of the code should be considered safe to use?

If you were concerned that the country of origin of a piece of software might influence your decision to trust a particular piece of leaked code would you consider that those states that censor information flow and are known to make attacks on the corporate infrastructure of large organisations might be particularly suspect?

Speaking for myself I am still tempted to try it, has anyone confirmed whether Madde Integration with the beta Qt SDK works?

Maemo is based on Debian, which uses DEB-packages, which do not have embedded cryptographic signatures (like RPM packages usually have); so from where ever you install outside of the repositories you take extra risks and you cannot find anyone in responsible of possible Trojan horses.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-05-02 at 22:54.