Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
The current release also supports google earth and friends. Also the colours of the OSD now adapt to the device its running on and the direction arrows are only enable when the map itself cannot be dragged (like in osm2go where you use the stylus to select an area).

The data is stored on the internal memory card. Any the widget itself doesn't give you a means to download a certain area or so. At some point i plan to add a support tool/control plugin that lets you do some basic maintenance stuff on the cache like downloading entire areas or flushing the cache (e.g. to download updated tiles afterwards).

But before that i'll add a direction arrow to the gps indicator and some map scale.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
I may have missed it, but where is the modified code? Will it remain in the form of a library?

Garage is being its usual painfully slow self, so it may well be in there, I just can't find it (yet)

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
In the most recent update (0.8.11), when I try and run the Map it crashes GPXView. When run through xTerm it returns with a Segmentation Fault.

Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
In the most recent update (0.8.11), when I try and run the Map it crashes GPXView. When run through xTerm it returns with a Segmentation Fault.
Someone else reported the same problem. I cannot reproduce this but i am working on this. What OS do you use? Diablo?

Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
Someone else reported the same problem. I cannot reproduce this but i am working on this. What OS do you use? Diablo?

Yes, I'm on the latest version of Diablo.

I updated gpxView with the most recent update last night (0.8.12) and it fixed the map crashing problem. Thanks for the fix.

This...looks awesome....I may have to make an addition to my signature

Just in case it was missed last time, are you planning on separating this widget's code out into a library so other apps can use it?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Actually it would make a nice desktop widget if you could just activate/deactivate not to poll GPS all the time. The map in GPXview is very sweet, I like a lot how the range of accuracy is drawn dynamically.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Actually it would make a nice desktop widget if you could just activate/deactivate not to poll GPS all the time. The map in GPXview is very sweet, I like a lot how the range of accuracy is drawn dynamically.
I am thinking about this for some time now. It's mainly a matter of time now as the number of maemo projects i am maintaining tends to grow ... There's still one big todo for the map which is "power consumption". There are still redraws happening which aren't neccessary and this has to be reduced to a minimum before.

And i agree, the idea behind the existig map widget may be nice, but the map actually being displayed is nothing more than three or four lines which is pretty useless ...