Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Salatheel View Post
little bit OT: few weeks ago I was visiting Hong Kong and I was about to buy 16GB microSD card to my n900. Seller offered me 8GB card with prize just belove 1600HKD. I asked why it's so expensive. He tried to explain me that N900 can use that kind of microSD card as like extra swap memory having some kind of micro prosessor inside. I did not believe him. Now I regret why did I not even test it. Memory card _just for storage_ was 600HKD (16GB).
Have you ever heard about that kind of "special" microSD ? In my opinion he was BStting me.
The only thing that could explain it was if that was a high-speed one (Class 6) which are generally more useful as swap than Class 2, but if so he clearly didn't understand what he was talking about.

Maybe PR1.2 will allow swap on SD cards? As Laughing Man said, current software won't do it without a little hacking.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
@amandalam: On the chinese Nokia web site, there is something called 3rd party apps, and there are 2 apps looks interesting, miniGPS and TigerMaps. Do you have any experience with these 2 apps on N900? Just curious. Especially TigerMaps looked very interesting.

TIA,

bun

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Hyderabad, India
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
@amandalam: On the chinese Nokia web site, there is something called 3rd party apps, and there are 2 apps looks interesting, miniGPS and TigerMaps. Do you have any experience with these 2 apps on N900? Just curious. Especially TigerMaps looked very interesting.

TIA,

bun
Those are symbian apps. They won't work on n900 since its base is Maemo

The Following User Says Thank You to avinashsonee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 383 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by larrykwok View Post
Amanda I have always been wishing to thank you for your hard work on the input method pack! I'm from Hong Kong and I must say the decision to acquire a N900 is mostly fuelled by the your input method. Thank you very much.

I was trying to establish a Hong Kong or I should say a traditional Chinese community for N900. Any suggestions or it there's some out there except Mobile01 please do let me know.

Once again thank you very much for your great attitude in developing N900.
I didn't do the input method part, FIrstFan did. I was doing the UI translation only

I had established a facebook group somewhile go. If you have facebook, feel free to join: http://groups.to/hkmaemo/

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by trips View Post
good news. i wonder if it will officially hit australian shores.
http://www.allphones.com.au/showcase/nokia.asp

seems it might

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ~phoenix~ View Post
hmm.... what do u what to fake when the hw is missing.... read proper.... there is only a reciever and no transmitter...
That would be interesting. In the N900, FM radio reception is provided by a Broadcom BCM2048 chip--which also provides FM transmission and Bluetooth. So, removing the FM transmission hardware would mean swapping the BCM2048 out for another chip or chips and a complete redesign of the N900's electronics.

It would also mean the N900 variant for China would take different firmware, so PR1.2 for them wouldn't equal PR1.2 for everyone else.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That would be interesting. In the N900, FM radio reception is provided by a Broadcom BCM2048 chip--which also provides FM transmission and Bluetooth. So, removing the FM transmission hardware would mean swapping the BCM2048 out for another chip or chips and a complete redesign of the N900's electronics.

It would also mean the N900 variant for China would take different firmware, so PR1.2 for them wouldn't equal PR1.2 for everyone else.
I doubt it would be removed from hardware level too; but at least Nokia needs to be "political correct" and make a very clear "official position" that the N900 to be sold in HK will not include the FM transmitter in order to obey the local laws here.

The Following User Says Thank You to amandalam For This Useful Post:
Passed through Mongkok today where Wilson and Citicall were both promoting the N900. The large scale N900 displays plugged into the video out of phone were cool. The guys in Nokia/Maemo shirts were running around with working units to play with and there were some promo models. Was in a hurry and the model photo guys were getting annoying so only had a chance for 2 quick questions.

Asked if the US model could be flashed with HK release and was told it could not. Really want that hand writing recognition ! I can only use Jyutping and the other input methods are painful with my limited chinese. Sure someone will figure out getting it on other models.

Asked if Maps was fixed for China and sadly the answer was no
Was told they are aware of problem and "maybe will be fixed later". So looks like Maps is still useless for China. Will have to go back and try it for my self.

Hoping for a world wide update for PR1.2 !

-Jonan

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jonan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
Is PR1.2 update for N900 just designed for HongKong version? Or is there a separate one for other countries?

Originally Posted by jonan View Post
Passed through Mongkok today where Wilson and Citicall were both promoting the N900. The large scale N900 displays plugged into the video out of phone were cool. The guys in Nokia/Maemo shirts were running around with working units to play with and there were some promo models. Was in a hurry and the model photo guys were getting annoying so only had a chance for 2 quick questions.

Asked if the US model could be flashed with HK release and was told it could not. Really want that hand writing recognition ! I can only use Jyutping and the other input methods are painful with my limited chinese. Sure someone will figure out getting it on other models.

Asked if Maps was fixed for China and sadly the answer was no
Was told they are aware of problem and "maybe will be fixed later". So looks like Maps is still useless for China. Will have to go back and try it for my self.

Hoping for a world wide update for PR1.2 !
Great pics Jonan!! I will go there and have a look tomorrow too

Closed Thread