Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
worked like a charm
sleep 10 what does it do ?

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by amorek13 View Post
worked like a charm
sleep 10 what does it do ?
Wait (go to sleep) for 10 seconds.

calvin_42: I think a fix is also needed when it tries to kill the process in if-down now. You'll see that it runs differently in ps output to before.

The Following User Says Thank You to mclarson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thanks, man! Good job!!!

One question.

Is there any posibility to add a feature that when I make a connection manually it stays connected...and only when it connects automatically then it gets disconnected by the idle checks?

Thank you, again!...

Pablo.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
First off, thanks for this application! It has great potential

Before I install it, I have a couple of questions about how it works, and how it works with other applications that require a connection to check for periodic updates (such as IM, email, etc)

When this application disables a connection, would the connection be automatically re-enabled if it was needed (such as launching MicroB or when email syncs)? If so, what's the delay associated with that, and/or would it prevent some applications from syncing successfully if the application sees there is no 'enabled' connection? When a wifi connection is 'disabled', does it just disconnect from the AP, or does it actually bring down the wifi interface?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by calvin_42 View Post
You want different settings for the 2 modes, to set different intervals for example that's correct ? Does AutoDisconnect close correctly both connections ?
What I would like (if possible) is the following:

Monitored Connections
[] Wifi Infra [] Wifi Adhoc [] GPRS/3g

Right now, AutoDisconnect does close both Wifi Infrastructure and Adhoc connections.
But I would like it to only auto-disconnect Wifi Adhoc which I use at work.
No immediate need for different intervals although it may come in handy later. (or for others)

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
ok i have a problem when connected to wifi and streaming thru mplayer it shuts down my wifi i have max idle at 1302

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Thanks for this program; it is working well for me. I haven't noticed any battery usage difference so far, but it seems to make sense to do this.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by jem555 View Post
Thanks, man! Good job!!!

One question.

Is there any posibility to add a feature that when I make a connection manually it stays connected...and only when it connects automatically then it gets disconnected by the idle checks?

Thank you, again!...

Pablo.
Dunno about this. I will try to work on it. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
When a wifi connection is 'disabled', does it just disconnect from the AP, or does it actually bring down the wifi interface?
Hi craftyguy. AutoDisconnect only closes the idle connections but doesn't bring down the interfaces. So all the applications that require connection for periodic updates will work just fine since they will ask for a new connection.

When this application disables a connection, would the connection be automatically re-enabled if it was needed (such as launching MicroB or when email syncs)?
Yes.

If so, what's the delay associated with that, and/or would it prevent some applications from syncing successfully if the application sees there is no 'enabled' connection?
No delay. When an app need to connect, the connection is made in a few seconds. And the connection cannot be cut during a sync because only the idle connections are closed. Except maybe in the case where the sync happens just 1 second before the periodic check of AutoDisconnect : the max idle trafic won't be reached, and a disconnect could happened. But normally a failed sync will ask a new connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to calvin_42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by amorek13 View Post
ok i have a problem when connected to wifi and streaming thru mplayer it shuts down my wifi i have max idle at 1302
Thanks again for the feedback amorek. Could you post the file /var/log/autodisconnect.log ?