Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
So I just stumble upon a article talking about t-mobiles pending plans.

The article states that t-mobile will be shutting down there 3g/2g network ... as soon as 2021!

So as far as I can tell this means the n900 will no long be able to usable as a cell phone.

Wanted to share this news, and really hope all these linux mobile OS get polished enough for daily use including Maemo-leste.

But also more HW keyboard phone come out, or at least FX comes out with a smaller version of the pro1 ... maybe the pro1/2

x

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I was going to post something similar.

T-Mobile will require VoLTE for all phones starting January 2021, AT&T to follow suit in February 2022

In the US, T-Mobile and AT&T are the only national GSM carrier choices (and in the end, US GSM MVNOs generally use T-Mobile or AT&T's network). Unless Sailfish adds VoLTE support (which may not even be enough if this requires carrier cooperation), this would force me to switch to another OS.

Yes, I know, Jolla doesn't support the US market so I should not expect anything. I understand that, but it will still be a little sad for me if/when the day comes where I won't be able to use Sailfish anymore, which has served my needs/interests quite well these past few years.

Edit: Didn't see that this was posted to the N900 forum, but the concern is relevant for multiple devices and OS's running on T-Mo US or AT&T

Last edited by klinglerware; 2020-07-25 at 15:35.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This is a no-go! (from both sides)

There are not only Jolla phones out the not supporting but I guess quite a lot of older devices (so-called 'dumb phones' nowadays.
So this topic matches for all devices in (and coming to) the US. What kind of move is this?

And Jolla not yet supporting VoLTE is the other story

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Are we talking about the US of NA in the last three posts?
The articles don't seem to indicate, but I doubt it's global.
In any case, i use neither T-mobile nor AT&T.
This seems like a bad move. There must be millions of devices in the US of NA alone - not only phones, but also in the Internet of Trash - using 3G mobile broadband connections...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Would this not be the same fate for the n9/n950?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Prague
This is limited to a few areas. Mostly as CDMA type systems used the same frequency as GSM in some areas. So alternative GSM frequencies were used which are now needed for 5G. USA, Australia and Singapore to my knowledge, there might be a few more. Otherwise the most likely development for the rest of the world is 3G will be retired, leaving 2G networks for older IoT devices.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to glo-worm For This Useful Post:
2g and 3g are for data. Voice is on GSM. Even with 4g voice is still on GSM.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Would this not be the same fate for the n9/n950?
When T-Mobile ends 2g/3g support in the US, the N9/N950 will no longer be supported. AT&T's 3g bands never properly supported the N9 everywhere, and AT&T has phased out its 2g. T-Mo has kept 2g up and running this long to support stuff that was the internet of things before there was an internet of things. Burglar alarm backups, lo-jack, and even connected scales, e.g. But now there's a low-power, low data rate 5g service that can finally replace these aging devices on aging networks -- and the N9 is a casualty.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
2g and 3g are for data. Voice is on GSM. Even with 4g voice is still on GSM.
Important.
Many people, even on technical forums, are confused by and/or unaware of this.

(and yes, there's some technology that can send high-quality audio for calls ovwer 4G, but I'm sure that's optional and calls are still possible without any data connection at all).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Important.
Many people, even on technical forums, are confused by and/or unaware of this.

(and yes, there's some technology that can send high-quality audio for calls ovwer 4G, but I'm sure that's optional and calls are still possible without any data connection at all).
Well it would be useful info if t-mobile would actually indicate if this is actually the case. Since for me a phone without data is still useful, since I can do hotspots or hop on wifi when needed.

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post: