Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
But, of course, practicalities (you know, like post/thanks-based karma ) trump those trivialities, and I really am pleased with this.
Post and Thanks -based karma is already there if you have added your Internet Tablet Talk profile URL to your profile.

Of course, if accounts become unified at some point things shall become a little bit more automated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The forums are staying on the same servers, so the registration wont be changing in the short term. Account unification will likely wait until we get a real single-sign-on solution.
We made some plans for single sign-on between maemo.org services last spring, but back then it was postponed until the server infrastructure was a bit more reliable.

It is probably the time to start reviving those plans now, and maybe update the ideas to include Talk sometime around January/February Sprint timescale.

Something to discuss in today's meeting if there is time...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
We made some plans for single sign-on between maemo.org services last spring, but back then it was postponed until the server infrastructure was a bit more reliable.

It is probably the time to start reviving those plans now, and maybe update the ideas to include Talk sometime around January/February Sprint timescale.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Single_sign-on - for those interested getting into details.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
This forum was, in my understanding, initially established with the 770 launch. It has not covered (except as competitors) Zaurus, Apple, Palm, HTC, Archos, or even other Nokia devices with reasonably equivalent hardware, but differing in OS. While the tablet hardware has been consistently high-end (770 at launch, and N800 and N810 up through the N810 launch, if less so now, and the N9xx at its launch), the hardware has not been hugely differentiated from other devices. Even the screen resolution is no longer different from some competitors, and with Opera, many of them do a passable job as tablets that access the internet. MIDs are coming out now too, and while their x86 architecture does hurt them powerwise, they're also tablets with access to the internet.

Yet (whatever the reasons) these fora are not, in fact, providing primary coverage of them; they're relegated to "competitors". Since these fora are covering Maemo, it's not indicative of any change of direction, much less one dictated by Nokia, that they should merge with maemo.org.

Essentially, your complaint seems to be rather late, as it is actually against the established focus, not the name change.
I agree with your statement about the focus of the forum and I'm not complaining about the established focus of the forum. This forum was started with the 770 which, at the time, was very distinctive. I do not agree that the tablets are no longer distinctive except for Maemo.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I hope everyone will give the new direction a chance before reacting drastically...
thats not the internet way

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I hope everyone will give the new direction a chance before reacting drastically...
I don't think anyone has, or will, react drastically.

As to give it a chance, my comments that other aspects of the NIT threaten to be lost in the focus on Maemo have already been described as "late". So the idea that anyone should wait until after the forum has moved to maemo.org and is a fait accompli, before reacting, is not really practical.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Essentially, your complaint seems to be rather late, as it is actually against the established focus, not the name change.
There is Competitors for different hardware (might be Maemo though) and there is Alternatives for different software for the 770/N800/N810, with sub-categories.

It makes sense someone is afraid the latter will evaporate from Talk because these (sub-)forums are not directly Maemo-related. However, there is no complaint (unlike the Competitors forum & threads), so why bother to remove them? I don't think that will happen.

I will mis the name internet tablet talk. It is an excellent pun,if there is such a thing. Table talk sends a signal that post are to be friendly.

The Following User Says Thank You to smackpotato For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
I will mis the name internet tablet talk. It is an excellent pun,if there is such a thing. Table talk sends a signal that post are to be friendly.
And-that-tee flow...

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Unfortunately TMo sounds a lot like Tmobile.
How about saying "TM dot org"?
Agreed, TMO is T-Mobile to many people. Type TMO in Google and you'll see it listed #2 under the Thermo Fisher Scientific stock exchange listing.