that's the MeeGo thread, right?

independently of the questionable fate of B2G, it is worth noticing that it uses Android drivers.
maybe something MeeGo needs to start working on, if it wants to get any reach?
of course, defining platform standards and providing drivers for those go hand in hand...

any thoughts?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
some even paid a small fortune to have a seat in the 1st row, i'd say
HA talk for yourself, i paid a fortune to have a seat in the BACK row

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
that's the MeeGo thread, right?

independently of the questionable fate of B2G, it is worth noticing that it uses Android drivers.
maybe something MeeGo needs to start working on, if it wants to get any reach?
of course, defining platform standards and providing drivers for those go hand in hand...

any thoughts?
Well, now, that sounds very NDIS-wrapper-ish. I wonder how do-able that would be.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Well, now, that sounds very NDIS-wrapper-ish. I wonder how do-able that would be.
i don't get the picture... X-(

EDIT: i think they already did the NDIS-wrappish thingy, didn't they?
they are able to run Android apps on Harmattan, or did i confuse that with something else?
not sure in how far that would do for booting, however

Last edited by misterc; 2011-08-06 at 10:16.

What makes android drivers better/more open/whatever than maemo/meego ones?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Better than Maemo because they get updated? Otherwise, I'm just as curious.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Better than Maemo because they get updated? Otherwise, I'm just as curious.
like i said, platform?
Google has defined one & i assume makes sure any device complying with it will boot up smooth & nice.
couldn't say for sure as i never touched an Android device (except my N900 when it was briefly running NITDroid )

except the N9, N950 and Asus X101, is there any device booting up MeeGo?
well, on the netbook side of the fence, i guess any WIntel device will do, but on the MID side of things?

EDIT: baaah, silly me... the N900, of course
otherwise?

Last edited by misterc; 2011-08-06 at 16:24.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
i don't get the picture... X-(

EDIT: i think they already did the NDIS-wrappish thingy, didn't they?
they are able to run Android apps on Harmattan, or did i confuse that with something else?
not sure in how far that would do for booting, however
Again, no... Maemo nor MeeGo are neither able to run Android apps yet. You can boot into NITdroid to run Android apps, but you have to reboot into NITdroid. So far, near as I can tell, there's never been a released Android app engine to run under either Maemo nor MeeGo. If anybody's seen one--PLEASE let us know and provide a link or reference to it.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Better because they would at least work, work faster/better and be available... NOT more open, that's the problem with an NDIS style wrapper (or you might be familiar with the nVidia style GPL-wrapper)--you're wrapping a closed-source binary blob with an open-source "interpreter" object to speak to said driver... whatever, well.. yeah.. if your platform wants to run on ANY hardware, it might work better or at least WORK at all if you could write an NDIS-style or GPL wrapper to run hardware drivers. I'm not saying it's the best or most open way to get things done--I'm just saying it might be the only way to get direct and/or functional access to accelerated or proprietary hardware, using Android-intended hardware drivers... and it would mean you wouldn't have to disassemble or reverse engineer the drivers--just the way Android itself manages to talk to them.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Again, no... Maemo nor MeeGo are neither able to run Android apps yet. You can boot into NITdroid to run Android apps, but you have to reboot into NITdroid. So far, near as I can tell, there's never been a released Android app engine to run under either Maemo nor MeeGo. If anybody's seen one--PLEASE let us know and provide a link or reference to it.

Better because they would at least work, work faster/better and be available... NOT more open, that's the problem with an NDIS style wrapper (or you might be familiar with the nVidia style GPL-wrapper)--you're wrapping a closed-source binary blob with an open-source "interpreter" object to speak to said driver... whatever, well.. yeah.. if your platform wants to run on ANY hardware, it might work better or at least WORK at all if you could write an NDIS-style or GPL wrapper to run hardware drivers. I'm not saying it's the best or most open way to get things done--I'm just saying it might be the only way to get direct and/or functional access to accelerated or proprietary hardware, using Android-intended hardware drivers... and it would mean you wouldn't have to disassemble or reverse engineer the drivers--just the way Android itself manages to talk to them.
There was Alien-Dalvik which was made to run android apps on maemo....but nokia never purchased it...now nokia is planning to buy dalvik for meego so as to keep N9 users happy....so there will be a dallvik for meego....hope some mods can port it to maemo...

The Following User Says Thank You to rishabsp For This Useful Post:

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down