Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Apologies for not bothering to search this tiny little thread for this info before asking:
Is bluetooth working well under Sf X on the Xperia 10?

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry for asking a naive question: how do I restore an Xperia X running Sailfish X back into Android?

All guides I found online assume it is running Android to start with. No one ever expects starting from running anything else.

Nevertheless, I tried running Emma. As per this guide, I turned the phone off, waited 30 seconds, plugged the phone in the USB while holding the Volume Down button. The indicator LED lit up green (VERY dimly, barely noticeable) but nothing else happened. Emma does not recognize the phone.

To preempt some questions, I also tried Volume Up, as well as starting Emma before or after plugging the phone in. All with the same result.

Caveat! It might be relevant. My phone is in the "battery only charges up to 20%" mode. I had it once but don't remember how I got out of it. I cannot get out of it now.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry for asking a naive question: how do I restore an Xperia X running Sailfish X back into Android?

All guides I found online assume it is running Android to start with. No one ever expects starting from running anything else.

Nevertheless, I tried running Emma. As per this guide, I turned the phone off, waited 30 seconds, plugged the phone in the USB while holding the Volume Down button. The indicator LED lit up green (VERY dimly, barely noticeable) but nothing else happened. Emma does not recognize the phone.

To preempt some questions, I also tried Volume Up, as well as starting Emma before or after plugging the phone in. All with the same result.

Caveat! It might be relevant. My phone is in the "battery only charges up to 20%" mode. I had it once but don't remember how I got out of it. I cannot get out of it now.

This is the first time hearing about this “up to 20%” mode. Does it go away if you press and hold power+vol up until it restarts?

On the windows side, as long as you have fastboot and drivers it should work.
Did you also try a different usb cable and/or usb port?

The Following User Says Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Never mind, it turns out I was doing a lousy job looking for a guide the first time. I found this, which describes exactly what I need.

However, my problem still persists. After I turn my phone off, it will not come on by pressing the Power button or by plugging it in the PC. The only thing I can do is plug it in the charger.

To get the green light, I need to:
  1. Turn the phone off
  2. Wait a bit
  3. Press and hold the Volume Up (or Down) button
  4. Plug in the charger
  5. Wait until the LED light up red
  6. Very quickly swap the charger cable for a USB cable from the PC
  7. Wait until the LED turns green (it flashes first, until it turns steady green)
  8. Release the Volume Up/Down button

However, at Step 7, the phone has already booted up to the "battery charging" screen. I assume that is the problem.

So I guess the real question is, how do I fix my battery problem?
It looks my phone does not like the "20%" thing.

Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
This is the first time hearing about this “up to 20%” mode. Does it go away if you press and hold power+vol up until it restarts?
Looks like our posts just crossed each other.
No, it doesn't. Once turned off, the phone cannot be turned back on other than by plugging it in the charger. And it is permanently stuck on the 20% battery status.

On the windows side, as long as you have fastboot and drivers it should work.
I tried to understand what fastboot is and how to use it, but I failed, despite being a software developer for 30 years. Perhaps that's the problem, I am too old.

I am using Emma, as per this guide. It asked me to download and install the drivers on the first start, which I did.

Did you also try a different usb cable and/or usb port?
I can try that, as soon as I find one. But I am successfully using the same cable for file transfer from the same phone using WinSCP, so I assume it works.

Looks like our posts just crossed each other.
No, it doesn't. Once turned off, the phone cannot be turned back on other than by plugging it in the charger. And it is permanently stuck on the 20% battery status.

I tried to understand what fastboot is and how to use it, but I failed, despite being a software developer for 30 years. Perhaps that's the problem, I am too old.

I am using Emma, as per this guide. It asked me to download and install the drivers on the first start, which I did.

I can try that, as soon as I find one. But I am successfully using the same cable for file transfer from the same phone using WinSCP, so I assume it works.

Fastboot is just a communication protocol to get access to every partition on the device.

I mentioned the usb port because from what I heard ( no personal experience here ) some people had issues flashing SFOs with usb 3. I don’t remember anything specific though or if it’s relevant.

Now my experience with 2 different devices and computers was a bit different each time.

First time with XC I had no luck with adb drivers from Google or Sony (I don’t remember anymore). What worked in this case was this

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/o...1-4-3.2588979/

Everything went smoothly after that and a reboot.

More recently with the 10 III I had to download the zip file with the drivers from below and manually update the phone drivers from device manager

https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb

But for the 20% thing, I really have no idea.
I only know the “4% battery drop” on my N9

Ha! What do I know! The "20% thing" - it was my own thread! I even described how I fixed it (by resoldering the battery connector). But it is back. Oh well, time to get a new phone, I suppose...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Ha! What do I know! The "20% thing" - it was my own thread! I even described how I fixed it (by resoldering the battery connector). But it is back. Oh well, time to get a new phone, I suppose...

Sorry to hear that.
If you decide to go with a newer Xperia device for sailfish though, I can tell you that I really enjoyed the jump from X compact to 10 III!
I don’t know if it will work for you, especially the size and aspect ratio, but I definitely recommend it if it is to your liking.

Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
Sorry to hear that.
If you decide to go with a newer Xperia device for sailfish though, I can tell you that I really enjoyed the jump from X compact to 10 III!
I don’t know if it will work for you, especially the size and aspect ratio, but I definitely recommend it if it is to your liking.
Thanks. I am definitely considering a device from the 10 range, provided I find one at a reasonable price (max 40 £/$/€). I am only trying to resurrect my old X in order to give it away.

Speaking of which, would anyone like a free Sony Xperia X with Sailfish X installed? Just the phone, no box or charger. But with an included free wallet case. The only issue: battery permanently stuck at 20%. I would like the taker to pay for the postage, though.

Thanks. I am definitely considering a device from the 10 range, provided I find one at a reasonable price (max 40 £/$/€). I am only trying to resurrect my old X in order to give it away.

Speaking of which, would anyone like a free Sony Xperia X with Sailfish X installed? Just the phone, no box or charger. But with an included free wallet case. The only issue: battery permanently stuck at 20%. I would like the taker to pay for the postage, though.
interested please

Last edited by marmagas; 2023-05-30 at 12:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to marmagas For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x