Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Quoted for truth.

@Dennis:
Just try firefox-esr under Easy Debian Jessie and you'll see, that it's unbearably slow (if it starts at all, that is).
Tbh I haven't tried Firefox/Iceweasel under ED since Wheezy, but even then it was nigh unusable.
maybe, but atm, it's the only possibility to use whatsapp.
the watchdog is kept alive by the watchdog daemon which pings the watchdog every 5 seconds.

The Following User Says Thank You to DennisHeine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Just to show it is possible. With chromium 57 using jessie through easy debbie. First message sent. But not working with speed or ways you would accept. Still trying to get it work faster but on my thread about chromium 57 I have described my problems with the browser.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
When you can't through you go around. I don't know how to get the keyboard working but I know how to google workaround: on chromium 57 you can install input tools extension. So platform is from facebook and keyboard is owned by google. Not to type the most secret stuff. But with input tools you can change easy with whatever language characters. Just typed a message on the fly. Debbie stays open behind and not giving headache to use whatsapp.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Just try firefox-esr under Easy Debian Jessie and you'll see, that it's unbearably slow (if it starts at all, that is).
I tried that now.
firefox-esr is available for Jessie in version 60.5.1esr-1~deb9u1. It installs fine under ED. The first start of the browser takes almost 10 minutes until the CPU (900MHz) goes idle again. Each subsequent start takes half that time.

The first thing I usually do after a fresh firefox installation is to get some privacy add-ons to keep the adware and spyware at bay that has spread amongst the web like a cancer.
When trying to load the add-on page, firefox runs out of memory and crashes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by DennisHeine View Post
i've found a python phone that uses ofono after hours of searching which runs with fixed python repositories and manually compiled pygtk, as long as the modem driver is running.
@DennisHeine are you still around? Mind sharing this python phone perhaps?

I am also interested in Debian on the N900, in addition to Leste

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post: