I've been reading all the "N900 is dead" threads, thinking I'd quite like to keep mine alive for a couple or three years, until something truly better comes onto the market.

So, this is a "what's changed since you bought your N900" thread, I'd like to know what you have done, or are doing, in the name of keeping your N900 for longer than you otherwise might - whether new hardware add-ons or improvements to software.

In my case, the list looks like this:

1) Reflashed a month ago to de-crap the phone and reinstall only what I know I need. Works much better for it.

2) More vicious overclocking than I'd have dared a year ago, we're stable at 1000MHz - on the basis that I can replace the whole phone via eBay these days and Nokia's warranty is all but irrelevant now. Seems to work fine.

3) Finally replaced Microb with Opera and used the browser-switchboard to make default. Works better than last time I tried, rather pleased with it now.

4) Added mBarcode - I didn't even know we could handle QR codes - then found a menu to launch Flashlight, Camera or mBarcode on opening the lens cover. Why didn't I know about this before?

...and now onto the hardware, which is where I'd really welcome any thoughts on what's new...

5) the battery life still bothers me on occasion, and whilst I've read dr_frost's works with interest, I'm not sure even a Scud will cut the mustard. The advent of iPads means that USB external batteries have come on in leaps and bounds and I've just ordered up a 7000mAh pack that should itself be compatible with charging from the N900 charger. Had similar before, but they've improved...will post back when it arrives.

6) the speakerphone functionality is sincerely shite, callers complain whenever I use it. Wondering about adding a dedicated BT speakerphone glued to my monitor... anyone do something like this?

7) 32GB Class 10s from a variety of manufacturers are actually in real physical stock at retailers. If truth be told I haven't filled 16GB, but I could use far more if I had some half decent headphones.

8) Marketed in parallel with the N8 (ugh), the Nokia BH-905i headphones have just taken a nice fat price cut and they start to look very tempting. Anyone have any practical experience with these on an N900?

I reckon with a few new toys, I can turn the N900 into a much more functional media machine and simultaneously fix the battery and hands-free issues. Couple that with such software optimisations as have been developed over the last couple of years and I probably have something I really WANT to keep alive...

So, those of you planning to still have your N900s through the 2012 Olympics and beyond - what have you discovered recently that's new since you bought the phone?

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
cleven - thanks to saturn and co.

free unlimited browsing via tmobile

Originally Posted by te37v View Post
cleven - thanks to saturn and co.

free unlimited browsing via tmobile
I do not understand this post yet I am so intrigued by it.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
Well i just enjoy the freedom of my n900, i can make it look the way i want it and more importantly use/abuse the crap out of it. I have dropped my n900 quiet a few times but its still going strong.

Currently running at 1100mhz stable, i get standard one day battery life thats with constant 3g data connection, logged into facebook chat listening to music via head phones and a few desktop widgets running aswell.

Modding wise got cssu, hardware vsync, overclocked, shortcutd, swappolube and custom transistion just the usual stuff. I love to test new stuff so im gonna give nitroid another try yet again, also myt see whats new with meego and kubuntu.

BUT sometimes i do feel like smashing my n900 into a million pieces cause it will refuse to behave and just work properly e.g never ending lag lol. However i will keep mine untill it explodes and dies on me or if there is phone THAT REALLY TAKES MY FANCY.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by Osama Bin Laden View Post
it makes calls and hacks wifi and draws..
i dont need more.. frankly it has everything i need except for flash 10 but hey.. i got a lappy for that?
yea battery is a bummer but life goes on..
i can keep mine till it actually breaks or isn't usable anymore..
why do you want to make calls for? I thougth you are dead...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
just get an iphone

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by Osama Bin Laden View Post
i need to call my 72 virgins..
They're still all virgins? Man, if I had 72 virgins, none of them would still be virgins after a week.

Disclaimer: Only if the virgins in question are post-pubescent females, not old and not ugly.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
FYI: Nokia N900 is not a phone, its an internet tablet with phone functionality.

I don't own a BH-905i headset but I do have its older sibling known as BH-905. I have had some ups and downs with the said headset, for starters is that its prone to freeze. When it freezes one will need to reset the device every so often.

The next set of issue is the range, with the lack of antenna on the said headset, the range is rather poor and signals can be easily blocked by some other object when using bluetooth mode.

Last but not least, the headset is somewhat fragile despite its high quality looks. When one extends their headset to fit across their head, there's a few small plastic bits closer to the bottom of the headset, those are prone to breaking.

For 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC cards, I know you weren't asking for any recommendations, but I personally would recommend a few things:

1) Make sure you purchase one with lifetime warranty/guarantee. They cost more but their price are generally its weight in gold when you have a reputable manufacturer.

2) Avoid TopRAM, their microSDHC is woeful. I have two of the said cards in both my N900 and I can't repartition, and format. It just spits out error. It seems like the card is optimised for FAT32 filesystems and at which corruption rate is rather aweful.

3) Don't buy a microSDHC card from any old stores, make sure that you can return the product if its faulty and/or does not meet your requirements. There are a fair amount of fake microSDHC cards floating around carrying legitimate brand name but in actual fact are fake (in terms of stated capacity). There's a tool under linux known as f3 which you can use to test to see if the cards are genuinely as stated by their respective manufacturer what their capacity is.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
I've heard of incompatibility between the original BH-905 and the N900's bluetooth stack. I don't know if the BH-905i resolves that.

Thanks, this is all useful... a few remarks inline...

Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
FYI: Nokia N900 is not a phone, its an internet tablet with phone functionality.
On one level, you're preaching to the converted - my servers are FreeBSD, my desktop is Debian, my router is DD-WRT and I didn't buy a Linux phone by accident. :-)

That said, I can pay for one contract SIM at a time, so the N900 is most definitely a phone - in fact, it is now my only phone, being the only GSM terminal I carry and also the SIP phone that fields all my landline calls when at home. So, as much as I appreciate the tablet functionality, I need it to work well as a phone, whether out and about, or at home. I'm not griping, just thinking it's time I spent the money on meeting those requirements as best possible.

Regarding the BH-905i, there are at least a couple of reports on here that they are compatible and work better than the 905 - what I'm finding harder to decide is whether they are what I want, and that's rather subjective. I'm not a regular user of Bluetooth headsets and don't really know what my criteria are, just fishing for any experiences of them. It's between those or the full-blown over-the-ear Sennheiser MM-550, and I'm as interested in call quality / convenience / practicality as music listening.

As for the memory card, all noted and agreed, I'm likely to go via Amazon, play.com or one of the usual suspects, probably for the Lexar judging by the existing reviews.