Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
TMO hasnt been this entertaining to read in months. Keep up the good work guys.
Sometimes, when something as tragic as Elop happens... all you can do is laugh. Sometimes hysterically. Sometimes laughing crosseyed while stabbing your stuffed bunny. Oh Elop.

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
...laughing crosseyed while stabbing your stuffed bunny....
And this will end up as a tweet sometime in the next 24 hours.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And this will end up as a tweet sometime in the next 24 hours.
Well, I don't know about tweeting, but I have a new signature.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
N900, N9, N800... They are all "mobile computers".

1_ You can run Python on a terminal and type some code to calculate pi to the 40th decimal case.

2_ It's small.

Ergo, it's mobile computer.

Heck, you can even run LOGO or Prolog. Limitless potential. Can't wait to play with that baby now that a decent SDK is available, with easy cross-compiling...

As for "desktop" thing... Specially "Linux Desktop". Well, as far as I know the prophetical "year of Linux in the Desktop" hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

But I do know you can plug the thing to a TV or monitor, use some BT keyboard, if not USB OTG, and use the thing like a damn desktop. But that's actually old news, and you can do that even on Symbian. So what's wrong here? is it another of those things Nokia brought "too early" to the market?

Tough of the week: The year of Linux on the desktop hasn't arrived yet... But Nokia though it has, and have been releasing Maemo phones / tablets "too early" for the last 5 years?

Now for some on-topic stuff. N9 has appeared in the Brazilian Nokia site, and also in the Czech site and the middle-eastern-Africa site. And this is clearly, very officially, not some loose source code like in the Indian website (where it's still not showing). And none of these show up in the magical combo box at nokia.com/n9. Based on this movement, could we perhaps start to feel like there may be NO LIMITS to where N9 may be released, and maybe even get some hope the release might not be _too_ far away?...

BTW, I have been searching for official sources that it will happen only in September, at minimum. Does anybody have a link?... Is a pre-September N9 release officially (or semi-officially) ruled out?

Last edited by nwerneck; 2011-07-08 at 05:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Lol, The EPIC I'm listenning to myself thread

On a side note, the difference between the n9 (and any other handheld/tablet) and a "desktop experience" is pretty much the same as the difference between a real desktop and a real notebook.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Oh whew! That's a relief! So it's finally running MeeGo, then? I find the rest of your arguments baseless. I don't find the UI laggy or slow and I find it to be efficient enough to run exquisitely even on my old Motorola Droid. That's sufficiently efficient enough for an old device, more than efficient enough for new devices. As for the innovations, plenty of it is in developing the HARDWARE--where HARDWARE manufacturers should be concentrating while SOFTWARE developers at Google and in the cmmunity develop SOFTWARE. Seems pretty common-sense
YMMV with Android, all of the friends I have that own a Galaxy S (4 of them), literally hate the device because of how laggy it is. How it grinds to a halt when using some widgets in Launcher pro. I am not against Android, and just do not think it is a good OS.

You go on about HW innovation, but where is it? A faster CPU, is that a hardware innovation? That is par for the course. ARM designs a new blueprint, Samsung and others tell their foundry to bake them. Done. Why do we have dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, but still terrible camera's on HTC's? Or universally used cheap plastic in Samsung devices? That's not innovation, is expected evolution. This spec race is preventing innovation, because we are conditioning consumers to view this as a Mhz race. See where that got us with PC's? The only company that makes something different is Apple. I do not want the mobile space to be the same way. In one very important way Apple, and to a lesser extent Nokia, know this and share this message. Because it is not about specs/technology, but what you can do with it. There is innovation in the N9 however. The buttonless UI is a first. The multitasking is not new but certainly better than anything out there now. The way the curved display and the construction seemlessly transition. The unibody body. Those are things that set the device apart. Who cares what is inside if it does everything well? I would rather have a better camera, or better navigation, or a better vkb, iso having 1.2 Ghz vs 1 Ghz. If Sammy LG and HTC are all just racing to get the fastest SoC on the market as fast as possible, then that is bad news for real innovation because that situation works like a straitjacket.

I am not only sad to see the N9 being the last of the really different devices, but also because in effect, diversity in the mobile space is dying, and it is substituted by something that is not even very good.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to NOMOS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
N900, N9, N800... They are all "mobile computers".

1_ You can run Python on a terminal and type some code to calculate pi to the 40th decimal case.

2_ It's small.

Ergo, it's mobile computer.
By that definition so is something like the N80. It's hardly equal to the N810 or even N900 as a computer though, is it.

Heck, you can even run LOGO or Prolog. Limitless potential.
I could run Logo & Prolog on my ZX Spectrum 3 decades ago. It was cool, but I wouldn't say it had limitless potential, even for its time ;-)

Can't wait to play with that baby now that a decent SDK is available, with easy cross-compiling...
The Harmattan SDK is still based on scratchbox 1, nothing new there.

BTW, I have been searching for official sources that it will happen only in September, at minimum. Does anybody have a link?... Is a pre-September N9 release officially (or semi-officially) ruled out?
Nothing official, but most of FInland goes on holiday during July so don't expect anything this month. At best if might be a few days earlier than "September".

Last edited by lma; 2011-07-08 at 11:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Chuck is back! Behave...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
Heck, you can even run LOGO or Prolog. Limitless potential. Can't wait to play with that baby now that a decent SDK is available, with easy cross-compiling...
Mind you, N900, N950, and N9 all actually *run* Prolog in production -- the whole policy engine's rules switching part is written in Prolog and drives very important part of the handsets' functionality.

For those who care: http://meego.gitorious.org/maemo-mul...r/basic/policy

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Does anybody know if it will support wifi hotspot in AP mode or i will be only ad hoc mode?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????