A lighthearted thread, but one with a real question.

Right now, it is impossible for me to have a toy of my own, since just about everything I have, my son wants to play with. That's especially true if there are games to be played. While I try to keep my new toy away from him, sometimes it is the better part of valor to occupy him with some game, if it is hex-a-hop or Angry Birds.

Problem is, twice I've come back and he's erased the desktop with all my games. Last time he also managed to shut down most of the desktops. It was bad enough that I had to restore from a backup.

So, how do I lock up these settings so that my son doesn't muck with them? It is really a pain in the butt when either I find stuff on the desktop that I don't want or even worse, when stuff disappears.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Same here ... Some 'config lock' would be nice.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
tell him that if he ever touches any setting again, he will not be allowed to play with it anymore?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cernunnos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
My 4 year old is a Angry Bird, too :-)
However, no messing with desktop or such. The moment the game is gone, they call out loud enough...

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
My 4 year old is a Angry Bird, too :-)
However, no messing with desktop or such. The moment the game is gone, they call out loud enough...
My son is actually smart enough to figure out how to get the game back up, including switching to a different game. He keeps wanting me to teach him how to play Wormex (to be honest, I don't know how to play that myself.)

Simple solution....

Pull out!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to That One Guy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
There seems to be quite a legion of N900 owners with Angry Bird obsessed children! My four-year old absolutely loves it and - I'm a little ashamed to admit - he was the one who managed to defeat level 20 after I had spent hours tearing my hair out trying to beat it.

For me the problem is how hard he hits the screen when he wants to double tap the birds to split them into three, make them go faster etc. I have to constantly remind him not to whack it, instead to gently touch it.

Actually, I would love to see more games for kids come out for the N900, maybe some educational puzzles or games more specifically aimed at young kids. They are great for keeping them occupied on journeys or when you have to wait around somewhere for a long time.

1) make backup
2) let kid play
3) if kid borked device, restore backup

buy him a laptop it would be safer and much cheaper

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by hollow View Post
buy him a laptop it would be safer and much cheaper
At age 10 months my oldest son disassembled my laptop's trackball and laid the pieces out in a neat row.