Originally Posted by TimusEravan View Post
Well yes but why continue to be loyal to your old company?
This may be the most idiotic decision by any CEO ever... did no one try to argue with him?
... you obviously never worked at a high level in a corporation...

old boys network, you build relationships that last your entire life...

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
I can see why they are doing this, WM7 is like its ancestors just there. Windows Mobile is often derided as this and that but it has weathered alot, been there for people and is simple more or less to use. No not slick like iOs, novel like Maemo or quirky like WebOS ... just there like windows.

Nokia is making the move to hold $$ not lead as the primary innovates of smartphone devices. Lets be honest most advanced users do not pick Symbian over the various alternatives. It's a low end mobile OS that's getting old fast. So this is a survival decision from a hardware manufacturer to out source its hardware to another OS manufacturer.

As too Maemo, its more or less been in our [the communities] hands from the get go. Meego ... a clone [phone wise] of another OS. Meego Tablet is still not ready for prime time, while its competitors are in the field getting the patches and service updates from real use. Which is classic Intel too, very slow to come to market and often late to innovate.

These are just my oppinions I personally love the N900, which I feel is extremely unique in the present market place, in fact I bought it knowing it was a white elephant from the get go. Having come from the Zaurus community I can tell you these devices can live on a VERY long time with support and motivation from the community.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scottlfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
I guess what can you expect from a former MS employee? So disappointing though, Nokia have just thrown away their individuality in the market and become a hardware developer.

How stupid can Elop be? He really think Nokia will get to number one by not having any distinguished features from other brands?

I think their best strategy all along would have been continue Symbian as they did, continue and develop Maemo for the high-end with a gradual shift to MeeGo once it was ready. That way they would never have been left with zero high-end phones on the market for all this time.

The big question in my mind is, if Elop sees just what an idiot he is by the stock market and the total lack of rejoice in the Nokia userbase, is he able to change his decision?

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Think they just want to go hardware provider like HTC is. Seems like a safer market to them I am sure. Eventually they can offer device platforms for various OS's etc. Atm deal made with M$ to get there feet wet.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by TimusEravan View Post
What I dont understand is why Win 7? And why not Android?
Elop doesn't have loads of shares in Google.

So if the memo was real, Elop's grand view of the 'innovation' coming to market faster was giving it all up and joining MicroShit? An OS that isn't even a threat? With all this pony about 'can there be more than 3 OSs?', if Nokia had got Maemo right or stayed with MeeGo, they could probably have killed WP7 anyway. It's not like the world wants, needs, or really cares about a Windows mobile operating system.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I dunno. Just sad. I just hope that
Bright minds of Nokia (ex employees) + Aava + Intel and other partners who are ready to make their own ecosystem start building up something wonderful.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by ofels View Post
The summary pof Elops statements today:

With WP7 there is no space for MeeGo and Symbian any more. Symbian will have its place in the short run until WP7 is ready.
MeeGo is called a "community project" but we all know how "community projects" are handled at Nokia. Hello Maemo. Besides, after such statements- who does he expect will by the single MeeGo device planned to appear this year after the N900 experience?

With Symbian and MeeGo going down the sink QT will also. No plans for WP7 so here you go.
And no, there is no community to pick Qt up in a way equivalent to Nokia. This will not work withtout a dramatical loss of flexibility unless an investor kicks in. Or TrollTech is revitalized as a single company.

What Elop did is to kill not only platforms but also the whole ecosystem behind them- users base, developers base, community.
There was hope for a brilliant future with lots of visions but Elop listened to the analysts. Which will prove to be completely wrong.

We can see it already today. Well, farewell.

Lets show him that he is wrong by buying the meego phone... who is with me?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Lets show him that he is wrong by buying the meego phone... who is with me?
<crickets>.....</crickets>

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:

Tags
where's dan