Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Just came here to comment that if your N900's USB port broke off, it is not that hard to solder another port to replace it. I managed to fix my N900 this way some time ago.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
A lot of the time it can take the pads with it, or have pad issues during replacement.
There are some good guides on this forum worth a look but not everyone feels competent to do it.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
There are other things going wrong with the device as well that make it not worth the effort to get the USB port fixed.

Are there any devices running SaillfishOS that might work for my needs?
Or is SFOS not that good?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
While the SailfishOS UI (Silica/Lipstick) and Maemo 5's Hildon desktop are very different, I think SailfishOS is the closest you can get to Maemo 5 at the moment. There's a package manager, a terminal with full access to / and no limitation like Harmattan had, an official repository, and each developers on Openrepos have their own repository that you can add either manually from CLI or using an application. Multitasking is also similar to Maemo 5's. You can see it in action in the video I posted in a previous message here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
A lot of the time it can take the pads with it, or have pad issues during replacement.
There are some good guides on this forum worth a look but not everyone feels competent to do it.
Maybe I was fortunate then, but the footprint on the N900's PCB was compatible with a random noname microUSB port that I had lying around. So I just had to take the time to take it apart, solder it in place, then put it together and magically, it works now!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Are there any SailfishOS devices out there that I can buy right now and have full feature support?

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
There were more then a few already mentioned no. I'm starting to feel like this is becoming ground hogs day ... :P

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Are there any SailfishOS devices out there that I can buy right now and have full feature support?
Depends on what you mean by "full feature support".

If you mean that you are looking for a device that supports all the features of Sailfish OS, then look into Sailfish X.

If you mean that you want to get all the features that you see on mainstream platforms like Android or iOS, with the same level of detail, then the answer is no.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Funny how this simple question "What to replace my N900 nowadays?" still has no simple answer since... ages.
Unbelievable, very special finally.

I personally tried a Pine Phone end 2020. I tried a bit all the Os's present by multiboot.
I finally had the feeling I'd have to reboot every time I needed another task: photos possible here, phonecalls there... And that I'd have to sacrifice the rest of the life (tweak-script-compile) to be able to get some kind of everyday usable phone.
Sure I am not as talented as most of you guys in those kind of things, though.
Well, I finally sold it and came back to my N900. One more case

Yesterday, since not having followed this phone replacement question since long, I was hot and would have ordered a Pro1-X with closed eyes.
Digging back more in Pro1(-X) question, I found possible huge waiting time, possible beta-version syndrome, possible lacks (or overflow) in support/replacement...

Pressure is getting higher though.
Birthdays, Sport activities for kids, classes management, are organized only through Whatsapp and people are mad when you don't answer. They don't even imagine one can live without it. Often, they don't realize you are not there, and you just miss things.
Picture/video sending. If you miss a cat or a sunrise, no big deal. But at work, for showing tech things and so on, becomes problematic not to receive/send anything.
If you want to show a vid of something to a client, it becomes a bit ridiculous with a N900 where it takes ages to load on a tiny black display...
We love it, still, this N900. They just don't understand the truth
Not easy.

So, really, without these Google/Apple data pumps, really no way today?
Even without keyboard?
And formulated like this: "A modern device to be by my own, with no notifications every second and where I can put a simcard"?

It was long, sorry. If you read, thank you. I just needed this therapy!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I gave up for a moment. Bought Moto g8, installed LineageOs, and using telegram and signal. But not having whatsapp is a big deal for a family guy like me. I put my money on Fx X and it was promised on march but was delayed. I just hope Leste gets ready for N900. Would change so much.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: