Active Topics

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
I was just wondering if there was ANY way to create (OR BUY) a telescopic FM antenna (OLD SCHOOL WALKMAN STYLE) that could be plugged in to the 3.5mm jack instead of headphones. The reason I am asking is because I think it would be more visually appealing for those warm summer Saturday nights on the patio and less of a chance for someone to say, "oh, what do these headphones go to?" and grab them and BOOM! the concrete has won the fight. I am also wondering if such a telescoping antenna would harbor better reception.

I have tried to make one myself using a gold plated 3.5mm to Coaxial adapter, a 30" telescoping antenna from radio shack and a push pin and it does work (I have to hold it together with my fingers)

Any Ideas

Originally Posted by mooler View Post
I have tried to make one myself using a gold plated 3.5mm to Coaxial adapter, a 30" telescoping antenna from radio shack and a push pin and it does work (I have to hold it together with my fingers)

Any Ideas
What more are you looking for beyond what you've already done? Solder whatever is loose so you don't have to use your fingers? Do you want a more elegant solution? Do you want something that will work better?

If it were me, I'd just take a pair of ear buds and cut the buds off. Viola, antenna!

-Jonathan

The Following User Says Thank You to bokubob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Considering that portable FM radios are cheap these days, and the last thing you'd want is your iT sitting somewhere where it could meet grease/concrete with kids running around, etc, why not just get an FM Radio instead? It's probably a whole lot cheaper than buying an antenna for the N800 to make it do what it's not supposed to do

The Following User Says Thank You to ghoonk For This Useful Post:
What more are you looking for beyond what you've already done? Solder whatever is loose so you don't have to use your fingers? Do you want a more elegant solution? Do you want something that will work better?
Considering that portable FM radios are cheap these days, and the last thing you'd want is your iT sitting somewhere where it could meet grease/concrete with kids running around, etc, why not just get an FM Radio instead? It's probably a whole lot cheaper than buying an antenna for the N800 to make it do what it's not supposed to do
Thanks! Both are very good answers...I am just always thinking outside the box. I guess I was kind going for a retro look mixed in with modern tech.

As for a more elegant solution...yes.

As for an FM Radio...yes. I have one.

solder the base of the antena to the ground of the 3.5 adapter (careful not to short ground to left or right - even better cut thos contacts off)

I was thinking of doing something like that myself

Maybe I'm missing something (haven't really tried, to be honest), but when you plug something in the 3.5MM jack, aren't the speakers disabled?

Originally Posted by abarrow View Post
Maybe I'm missing something (haven't really tried, to be honest), but when you plug something in the 3.5MM jack, aren't the speakers disabled?
Only for media players. For FM radio is special switch and you can listen from speakers.

m.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Came up with a simple solution that works for me. A 3.5mm stereo plug with wire I cut off a dead set of headphones - just plug that in, select onboard speaker and all is well.

Since it is just wire rather than a hard antenna, it is easy to loop it over the top and hold it in place with a small dab of blue tack. Comes off easy for stowage and nothing to really catch. I do live in a big city so it might not work quite so well out in the sticks :-). Been using that almost since I got the N800 with no problems (but all I listen to is generally just FM radio).
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Came up with a simple solution that works for me. A 3.5mm stereo plug with wire I cut off a dead set of headphones - just plug that in, select onboard speaker and all is well.

Since it is just wire rather than a hard antenna, it is easy to loop it over the top and hold it in place with a small dab of blue tack. Comes off easy for stowage and nothing to really catch. I do live in a big city so it might not work quite so well out in the sticks :-). Been using that almost since I got the N800 with no problems (but all I listen to is generally just FM radio).
Great Idea! How long is the actual wire after you cut it and by looping it over the top do you mean looping it over the top of the n800 and putting the blue tack on the adapter itself?

Last edited by mooler; 2008-03-04 at 06:46.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC