Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Could you elaborate why?
I am a resistive fan, but I am curious re what you find lacking. Is it accuracy, pressure sensing, or the "nail problem"?
The nail problem matters not to me at all. Luckily the software has matured to overcome other hurdles, like pressure sensitivity, but accuracy is the biggest issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
But one note: although most apps are optimized for inacurracy, we have websites. And on N9(50) it was always hard to precisely click a small hyperlink

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Could you elaborate why?
A colleague who owns an ipad and bought the corresponding stylus constantly complained about the battery life of the stylus (according to him it doesn't work at all if it's not charged). He had the stylus replaced, but the problem persisted. I think shortly after he ceased using the stylus altogether.

My N900's stylus is working fine for half a decade now, without being recharged once.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
My N900's stylus is working fine for half a decade now, without being recharged once.
So do Wacom tablet pens. This is nothing new. My Wacom Graphire tablet is almost 12 years old and its stylus still works.

But it doesn't mean it's the best option.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What is the best option?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
What is the best option?
I have no immediate answer. Resistive to me has always been reliable, but can be influenced by the weather/temperature - shrinkage of the coversheet can lend itself to horrible detection in the extreme corners.

Capacitive is affected differently by the weather/temperature, whereas you have to use specialty gloves or some battery poor stylus to emulate natural media.

Both have pros and cons. I've been a creative and a programmer for 2 decades and honestly; hearing folks crow about old ****ing tech like it's brand new just bothers me for some unknown reason. Both are solutions with variable uses and applications.

And neither really are perfect. The geeks here will choose the simpler to deploy resistive. It's in their beloved N900 (or my own beloved N810 - my fave of the bunch) and it's in cheap hardware that can be bent and twisted to do whatever they want. Capacitive, it's in iCrap stuff and has a following that immediately is the polar opposite of the aforementioned group.

</rant>

Funny how that works. Neither are perfect and I've used both enough to embrace that with clarity.

Last edited by gerbick; 2016-06-28 at 18:13. Reason: Corrected a misspell...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
So do Wacom tablet pens. This is nothing new. My Wacom Graphire tablet is almost 12 years old and its stylus still works.

I'm currently using a tablet/laptop with a Wacom digitizer layer (Thinkpad Helix), and although it is indeed a great addition to capacitive screens, I have to say that the Linux support is not as good as it is for Windows. The corresponding driver was not compatible with Linux initially, if I remember correctly the first compatible driver came out with no pressure sensitivity. Even now, I experience lower accuracy and lower performance compared to Windows. The performance issue is a significant delay between the stylus and the actual drawing on the screen, which often beats the point of the stylus because you cannot use it naturally or draw smooth curves as accurately as you would want.

However, for what it's worth, this laptop never was a good choice for Linux, it seems, even though it's a good machine. I have experienced a lot of hardware issues that I didn't get in Windows. I have chosen to stay on Linux anyway, but I'm pretty much not using the tablet feature at all (almost never use the digitizer, never detach the screen because of bad touch support (no right click with long touch or double touch), suboptimal touchpad/trackpad experience, no good virtual keyboard appearing automatically when touching a text field when in tablet mode, screen rotation is not good, one hardware button is not recognized...). None of these issues exist if I boot in Windows but, well, I still don't want to boot in Windows.

I do not exclude that these Wacom issues are just bad compatibility between the digitizer model on my laptop and my Linux distribution (though I don't know any Linux distribution offering a perfect experience with the Thinkpad Helix). It might not be true for all Wacom digitizers and Linux distributions. But anyway, even on Windows, the Wacom stylus does not offer the level of accuracy I experience on the N900's resistive screen; it's actually quite far from it.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2016-06-29 at 09:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Luckily the software has matured to overcome other hurdles, like pressure sensitivity, but accuracy is the biggest issue.
I am surprised, since during my cursory testing I noted I could not distinguish between the accuracy of the Pro and the N900. However, I now realize that there's one area where accuracy would potentially suffer, and that's when tilting the stylus.

More experiments are required</cheap excuse to waste another afternoon at the local Apple Store>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
I found some other devices.
It seems windows has saturated the umpc market..
Hardware may be old..
or heck..
Maybe even vaporware...

The important thing is that I have links to what I imagine to be the closest to your preferences.

These features are included:
>Hwkb
>Resistive Touch (decent resolution)
>At least semi-pocketable (Hopefully..)
>Theoretically good Battery Life
>Wifi

Behold.

(Prices from High to Low)

Viliv N5 $700
Used Condition (Amazon)

Not much could be found (after light searching) on the specs other than on a umpc wiki..

"Features GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, 3G availability, (unknown) SSD options with Intel Z520 Processors and integrated GMA500 graphics with hardware acceleration for H264 HD video playback."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HTC Shift X9500 UMPC $310.58

SPECS:
Dual Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32-Bit (notebook mode)
SnapVUE (PDA mode)

-Processor-
Intel A110 Stealey CPU 800 MHz (for Windows Vista)
ARM11 CPU (for SnapVUE)[2]

-Memory and Storage-
2 GB RAM (notebook mode)
64 MB RAM (PDA mode)
40/60 GB HDD
Intel GMA 950 graphics
SD card slot

-Communications-

Quad band GSM / GPRS / EDGE (data only): GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900
Triband UMTS / HSDPA (data only): UMTS 850, UMTS 1900, UMTS 2100
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth v2.0

-Screen-
7" display
Active TFT touchscreen, 16M colors
800 x 480 pixels (Wide-VGA), 7 inches

-Other Goodies-

USB port
QWERTY keyboard
Handwriting recognition
Fingerprint Recognition
Ringtones
MP3
Dual speakers

http://www.electronicsforce.com/htc-...tml#googlebase

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OQO MODEL 3
3G, Windows 7, Z550 2.0GHz, 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM
Ethernet, Bluetooth 2.1,USB 2.0,Wifi
4.8" active matrix 1024X600 OLED

Has been seen running Ubuntu,Debian, Suse, Fedora,etc on a seemingly acceptable level.

"A user on the OQO talk message board has released a slightly modified Ubuntu installer specifically for the OQO that works without having to specify custom installer boot options."
<- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OQO#Linux_on_OQO_devices

http://auberry.blidoo.us/oqo-model-0...ere-75189.html
(there are other devices to choose from here.. Proceed with caution..)

Approx. $400 (lists the same device with two different prices)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x_Blaze.It.Beau_x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I blame this thread for making me buy Panasonic CF-U1. I was deeply disappointed. It was HUGE! Not portable by any stretch of imagination. I persevered with it for full three days before I put it up on eBay and sold it for what I paid for it, losing nearly £20 on postage and eBay and PayPal fees.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy