Active Topics

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
is there any way to map my network drive to my n900? thank you

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
anyone????

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
From your terminology I am assuming you are looking for something akin to the DOS world of drive N: is the same as \\myserver\share ? Care to elaborate?

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dallas, TX
I'm interested in this also. I have an external drive at home that houses all of my divx movies for my mac/ps3. Would love for my, comes today!!!, N900 to have access to it and download copies to it directly.

Just put it on your USB port, select mass storage mode on you device and you can copy any file you like to it...

Good luck..

Do a search for cifs on the forum. If you have mounted shares in linux before then you will find it very familiar if not it might take a few tries. If you dont succeed post here and I will see if I can help.

Why would you want to copy so much data over WiFi?

I'm telling you, it's slow going, compared to plugging it into the computer and transferring files that way.

Now, if you just want to access that drive and stream a video, you have several options. Knotts2, Windows Media Player, etc.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Why would you want to copy so much data over WiFi?

I'm telling you, it's slow going, compared to plugging it into the computer and transferring files that way.

Now, if you just want to access that drive and stream a video, you have several options. Knotts2, Windows Media Player, etc.
I'd have to agree. Maybe a useful feature if you're just copying over small amounts of data, but if you're doing what I did last night (moved 16 GB of MP3's over)....for sure don't bother with trying to mount a share into the filesystem over Wifi. Just hit up the USB cable in mass-storage mode on a PC (you are running Linux on your PC of course, right? Everyone should be. ) and then just move the files over that way.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to access a shared drive on a WINDOWS PC?

I know there are faster and better ways of transferring... but you cant beat it on convienience

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
(you are running Linux on your PC of course, right? Everyone should be. ) and then just move the files over that way.

I'm not running Linux on a PC. I'm running it on a MacBook Pro. Can I still be one of the cool kids?

Tags
cifs, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, map, mount, network, network drive, network share, samba, share, smb, windows