Poll: What are you going to do when XP support ends?
Poll Options
What are you going to do when XP support ends?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Hehe ...soon. April 8th supposedly.
I have heard that there will be a "paid for" continued support. As in... pay to keep it updated. But don't quote me on it...Can't remem where I read it.
XP Embedded has extended support until 12-01-2016.

Note that, with or without support, Windows XP (and every other Windows version) has been riddled with critical security bugs. Patching a bug doesn't help does who have already been affected by it.

So those hoping that Windows 7 or 8 or 9 will keep them safe are merely fooling themselves.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ladoga View Post
I also use SMplayer as its frontend, but occasionally it has nagged me with some donation dialog, what's up with that windows like crap?
wtf?
Had smplayer ever nagged me this way I would have thrown it out the window right away.
Can you give any pointers please to investigate on that (the source code snippet or the message text so that one could grep the code for it)?

Darktable is nice for playing with raw images too, but too resource heavy for my measly ibm laptop (now almost 10 years old).
Try fotoxx, rawstudio and rawtherapee!
Of course that wil only help if the UI is the problem and not some resource-hungry RAW-editing tasks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That's possible, yes.
There are methods of turning your current windows environment into a virtual machine, so if you have lots of available HDD space you could try something like this:
  • clean up what you do not need
  • install linux aside windows as a dual-boot OS
  • now you can use linux or windows, whichever you choose
  • clone your windows into a VM
  • run the VM inside linux to make sure everything works
  • delete the original windows installation and free up space
  • profit...

Now that's an interesting idea indeed! I am afraid that is not very easy to achieve, however that is not impossible. Hibernation is performed by stopping all running processes and writing the current total RAM content into a file on HDD, and on restore it is read back and processes are unfrozen.

In theory it is possible to have 2 different files on your HDD, one containing the current windows RAM image and one containing the current linux RAM image.
The going-to-hibernation-phase is easy, I'd say some quick patching of the hibernation code is enough to make sure each OS can go down gracefully.
The wakeup phase is more difficult, You'd need to write an utility that can select which OS to wake up to and chainload correctly the image unfreezing.
Doable, but could prove a challenge. (I could propably fix up something like that for the linux part fairly easily but I have no idea how to implement the windows side of it....)
Thank you! Hibernate is a must-have for me (though lately, I am fine with shutting down the OS, as long as Seamonkey remembers my session).

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
As for flac, tell me when you find a program that does not support it!

That's one possibility. I prefer smplayer (mplayer+gui) since mplayer is faster than vlc.

Google Earth is available on Linux.

All I could find via Google was a trojan. It probably would work under wine, but I don't quite see the point.

There are several alternatives. The hard part is not switching the SW but convincing your contacts to use something else.

My way was not forcing anything at all (e.g. by intentionally uninstalling Windows SW). All I did was trying to get the tasks I did under Windows done under Linux as well.
Over the course of 8 months or so I gradually did more and more things under Linux until I one day realized that I hadn't booted Windows for half a year.
Thank you! I don't know what flac is; I am going to read about mplayer; since I use OpenStreetMap.org, I would rather switch to Marble; AHDW stands for "American Heritage Dictionary", year 1994, probably 16-bit, with White Eagle Systems providing the Voice recording and compression technology.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Kolourpaint is more or less an exact copy of MS Paint (at least it was when I left the MS sphere).
If you don't like KDE, try gpaint, gnome-paint or rgbpaint. They all use the same principles, but unfortunately are missing certain small features, which make kolourpaint my only KDE program.
Pinta might be worth a try too, but I haven't tried it so far. (Edit: Meh, it depends on mono)
Mtpaint is pretty mighty for its low weight, but unfortunately also kind of cumbersome. I don't actually like it, but still use it sometimes.
Thank you! I have tried using XPaint on Maemo, but, it warns about losing colour quality, and it has bugs related to transparency and movement of image - alpha layer can go insane.

+1 for mplayer.

IMO the best video player hands down for any platform. Beats VLC in image quality and speed. I also use SMplayer as its frontend, but occasionally it has nagged me with some donation dialog, what's up with that windows like crap?

For video encoding I use ffmpeg which is great and avidemux for simple edits like cutting, rescaling and adding new audio.. Haven't found a good fully featured video editor though.

For photo editing ufraw and Gimp work fine for me. Darktable is nice for playing with raw images too, but too resource heavy for my measly ibm laptop (now almost 10 years old).

Geeqie is a nice and simple image viewer, with basic options for rotating, reading exif and other stuff you'd expect. And nothing beats imagemagick for quick commandline image editing and batch processing.

All in all you'll probably find reasonable replacements for most software you use in Windows and plenty that are superior to their windows conterparts. And who the hell runs apache on windows anyway? I'm probably not wrong if I say that over 90% of webservers run on linux.

I suggest you to try out several linux distros and taking your time with them before deciding which way to go..It's probably easiest to start with Ubuntu, Mint or another similar fully blown install and move on when you've got hang of the basics. (And have gotten some idea what programs you like to use).

I''ve been using debian 'testing' for last 9 years or so and would recommend that in the long run (no need for reinstall or full upgrade as it's basically a rolling release). I've found that sooner or later whole distribution upgrades (ala ubuntu) will **** up your system and be pain to fix making reinstallation the easiest option available. I think last and only time I reinstalled debian was some 4 years ago and that was simply for building a well optimized system on a new SSD. (boots to desktop in 6 seconds on 2004 hardware so worth it).

Whatever way you decide I hope you enjoy getting rid of that spyware called Windows.
Encouraging. Debian and Fedora are the most notable options. I have Geeqie on Maemo; I wish it was a bit more aware of portrait-landscape orientation so that UI would fit better.

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
XP is still supported?
http://31.media.tumblr.com/899c4d98e...xzwwo1_400.jpg
Classical mistake of websites-imitating-programs: Windows XP isn't equal to Luna theme. I use Classic. In fact, I enjoyed appearance of Windows 2000 while I could. Hopefully, it will be possible to recreate this appearance on other operating systems.
Typed at night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Had XP for games only since dawn of times. Considering, that they already work the same (if not better) under Linux, I'll just ditch any windows fossil remaining anywhere in the favor of Debian with LXDE.

And no, no force on earth would force me to use windows vista/7/8/whatever, at all, in any of my machines.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Thank you! Hibernate is a must-have for me (though lately, I am fine with shutting down the OS, as long as Seamonkey remembers my session)..
Hibernate works with linux, of course
I do not use hiberante myself, as my laptop boots quick enough for me and I never shut down my desktops, but my wife uses hibernate with her laptop. (we have only linux computers at home)

My comment only referred to the situation where you wanted to resume from hibernate to either windows or linux, at will. (that was a nice idea really)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
And no, no force on earth would force me to use windows vista/7/8/whatever, at all, in any of my machines.
Agree wholeheartedly. However, I have to use Windows 8 Enterprise on my work computer. Still, it gives me even more incentive to not let this heavy monster invade my own notebook.
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Hibernate works with linux, of course
I do not use hiberante myself, as my laptop boots quick enough for me and I never shut down my desktops, but my wife uses hibernate with her laptop. (we have only linux computers at home)
My comment only referred to the situation where you wanted to resume from hibernate to either windows or linux, at will. (that was a nice idea really)
Yes, it is a nice idea. And i use hibernate not for speed of launching an application, but for an opposite purpose: to avoid seeing pointless applications starting up, and forcibly shutting them down. Bluetooth manager, when I don't need it; Skype; Logitech camera (I don't even use Logitech webcam anymore, but it's still starting up on every Windows-on). Java speed launcher, Adobe Reader speed launcher, Microsoft's GrooveMonitor, Google's Update...
Thank you. I will need to do check-disk soon, just because Windows XP refused to shut down one or two times, and I had to forcibly shut it down... And I haven't done back-up in ages...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Tags
desktop, reactos, windows xp