Thx for the hints cmdowns. I've tried a few of the commands the way you said and they work pretty well. I think I'll stick nano until I get used to VI/VIM, since it's a bit more newb-friendly for me .

'Preciate you pointing that out to me Benson. EDITED OUT: I would guess that changing them from "." hidden directories to regular directories would be a bad thing? I was hoping for more integration between documents saved with Xournal and other apps and the more robust file manager. IS there a way to change these hidden directory names? (I tried "mv" and failed)

nvm, I found out that doing that does nothing other than add visible directories to the file manager with the same name and same contents. Weird that you have to be "root" in order to see/interact with those folders...

Cheers.

Last edited by taimishu23; 2008-07-19 at 01:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to taimishu23 For This Useful Post:
It would break everything trying to access them automatically, or having a saved path in that place...

That said, if you want them handily accessible, one easy fix is to make links to them (probably outside the MyDocs tree; inside would work, but would give doubled links.):
Code:
cd
ln -s MyDocs/.documents Documents
ln -s MyDocs/.sounds Sounds
And so on, for the others.

It's also possible to place the directories elsewhere, and replace the .foo directories with links, but that makes things complicated for no real gain.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
I am running Diablo and I can't seem to figure out how to install Nano. It doesn't show up in the Installable Apps directory and I'm not experienced enough to know what to do if it doesn't have a green arrow on Maemo that lets me download and install it, haha. Could anyone help?

The Following User Says Thank You to HondaCivet For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
That was a nice vi doc!

The trouble with vi or vim on a tablet, though Ii use it, is that the whole rationale is supposedly that it minimizes finger movement. That kinda falls apart when you are typing everything with one finger, which is what you are doing with a stylus.
The other rationale for vi(m) using is minimizing of key input. And it works wonderful for tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
To HondaCivet:

I installed my version of nano from here http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/nano/

another place is nitapps.com, there's a link to the file at the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to taimishu23 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 98 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Port Angeles, WA
I'm using vim on n810/Diablo - only problem I have is there is no bottom status bar that shows up

vi shows filename line/total lines percentage(not sure of what)
vim shows nothing.

I'm sure there must be an option to turn the status message line on?
Hopefully to have it on all the time?

The Following User Says Thank You to bizshop For This Useful Post:

Tags
text editor, vi vim