Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by Wiener View Post
The power jacs / micro usb seem to be SMD only (I remember a post some weeks ago! - someone has references?).
Texrat's blog has more on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to aboaboit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
This is a picture from the N900 service manual.-

It doesn't look like there is anything holding it onto the board other than the solder points for charging, glue etc. I think we all probably have N900's with this flaw and its ony a matter of time before they fail.

I pointed my tourch down the port and the solder points etc look the same as in the pic. The connector also looks the same as the first post. Damm my N900's a ticking time bomb

Last edited by Magel282; 2010-01-04 at 10:49.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Magel282 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Don't leave your N900 in a hot car, or the epoxy will melt?

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by Magel282 View Post

It doesn't look like there is anything holding it onto the board other than the solder points for charging, glue etc. I think we all probably have N900's with this flaw and its ony a matter of time before they fail.

I pointed my tourch down the port and the solder points etc look the same as in the pic. The connector also looks the same as the first post. Damm my N900's a ticking time bomb
very disappointing

Originally Posted by Croc View Post
good luck with what? a FACT about ALL usb connectors?
seriously read up about usb specs and dimensions, they were designe not to have super snug fit (same goes for all firewire connectors) if what you saying was true we would see every device fail out there
i suggest you check out all other usb devices in your house, you will find they ALL have room to wiggle
Given that I've had no issues with the micro USB on my Motorola Q for the past 2 years, nor the (2) different Droids I've had even using a bulky micro-to-mini USB adaptor, having the USB port completely rip out after the 2nd time charging it, there is little room for error with the 900. The data plug fits extremely tight on "my" 900...there are an extra set of spring loaded pins, which are larger than those on my Motorola's plug(s), if you want to "wiggle" the plug in any way, or remove the plug on an angle, good luck with that.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-04 at 19:05.

...It doesn't look like there is anything holding it onto the board other than the solder points for charging, glue etc. I think we all probably have N900's with this flaw and its ony a matter of time before they fail.

On my replacement 900, the edges of the connector seem to be touching the cutout of the case. My first 900, the connector was completely recessed inside the housing. Again, only (4) small soldering points, and (2) larger, square, "glued" points. The USB pins also seem "glued", and not soldered. The contact points for the receptale's pins, on the board, are recessed. One would be hard pressed to clean them out, and re-attach, and expect to repair, if it does come detached.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
On my replacement 900, the edges of the connector seem to be touching the cutout of the case. My first 900, the connector was completely recessed inside the housing. Again, only (4) small soldering points, and (2) larger, square, "glued" points. The USB pins also seem "glued", and not soldered. The contact points for the receptale's pins, on the board, are recessed. One would be hard pressed to clean them out, and re-attach, and expect to repair, if it does come detached.
What design is mine, the old or new. I would say it's the old design.

Magel, not sure if this is old or new, but on my N900, the meta rims of the metal usb port seem attached/connected to the plastic body.

EDIT

How can you tell what week/when your N900 was made?

Found it; mine's week 48/2009

Last edited by Death Scythe; 2010-01-05 at 02:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Death Scythe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA

Picture is too small and blurry for me to identify the joints as surface mount (bad in this case) or through-hole design (better).

If reports are accurate that a flange has been added to the female connector, that will help a great deal-- but I continue to believe switching to through-hole mounting will be a wise move nonetheless.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Given that I've had no issues with the micro USB on my Motorola Q for the past 2 years, nor the (2) different Droids I've had even using a bulky micro-to-mini USB adaptor, having the USB port completely rip out after the 2nd time charging it, there is little room for error with the 900. The data plug fits extremely tight on "my" 900...there are an extra set of spring loaded pins, which are larger than those on my Motorola's plug(s), if you want to "wiggle" the plug in any way, or remove the plug on an angle, good luck with that.
yes everyone agree, but what you posted about how the plug inserted in to n900 should have no room for any wiggle is nonsense, that is all.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty