Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
when doing umount /media/mmc1 I get "Device busy"... Grrr!!!

Omar

(please see: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4079 - still unresolved..)

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
what will happen when I'll try to reflash the tablet? Will the new OS be installed on the MMC or the internal flash?
Internal flash. Also if you flash full firmware image, initfs gets overwritten and you would need to reinstall bootmenu. After bootmenu reinstall you may or may not boot the older system from mmc, depends on differencies between those systems. On n770 the 1.2006-26 on mmc boots fine with 2.2006-39 in flash. I haven't upgraded to .49 yet (lack of time).

Maybe my question was not clear, sorry. At least the question was clear but I have wrote it down in a bad way.

Question is: will I have a way to upgrade the system without having to flash it? (i.e. copy the binary image to the mmc)?

Do you have any thought about my previous post? The one where I explain I can not unmount the mmc card? I'm already flashing the .49 firm now.

Omar

You can't unmount the dir because you are in it some where.. either as root or before root or accessing files on it.

My question is this. I did this guide and thought it was great.. I am booting off my internal mmc card for my os. However the first partition on the mmc doesn't auto mount. I can manually mount it, but its not accessible by the os. I can see and use it in xterm, but thats limiting when I want to read some pdf's off of the card. Also when I plug in the usb, I can't access that card at all via usb.

Is this normal? Since I am booting off the card do I not get to use any other part of it? Did I maybe have an error in partitioning?

I already done every sort of check just after the linked message but no luck... Now it appears that flashing the .49 firmware has solved this matter

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
Question is: will I have a way to upgrade the system without having to flash it? (i.e. copy the binary image to the mmc)?
No. Upgrading to newer firmware means flashing. On mmc you have only rootfs. You still need to reflash also bootloader,kernel,initfs. And you need newer rootfs to put somewhere, so why not to flash it too.

I'm going through the process of cloning the original filesystem but still, once I have to apt-get -d install tar I get the "Some packages could not be authenticated" message.

this is driving me mad!! What do I have to type to the second request where YES is not the default choice? y, yes, Y, YES, whatever else?!

is there any workaround for this? I tried the red pill mode trick, but tells me tar is in conflict with busybox!

Furthermore, I answered "yes" to the initfs_flash question about removing unnecessary packages, and now it wants to remove 116 packages - about 33,5 MB of files...

What should I do?

hi,
thanks for this nice HowTo, but i think i have a very silly problem with my card ?? it's a 1G card and i want it to be the inside card that boot's . . . i have a N800.

I did every thing from the start and did the tab thing but i got this:

~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 3:1.1.3-3.osso17) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/
insmod: cannot mmap `/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/': No such device
/home/user # insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/ext2.ko
insmod: cannot open module `/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/ext2.ko': No such file or directory
/home/user # insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/ext2.ko
insmod: cannot insert `/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/ext2.ko': Unknown symbol in module (-1): No such file or directory
as you can see ?? i dont know what to say

so if you know a way please help !!

thanx

ok i made the step work :-)

but i have another problem

when i do this ?? it cannot find them ??
# umount /opt
# umount /floppy
please help

i was happy to boot from mmc but it was a trick i was just booting from the flash . . . i dont know how i even took the card out and it was saying booting from mmc