Dear all,

I have been using the N900 for many months now and I realised one thing today, which I had always realised but not in its full extent.

The N900 is an amazing device and Maemo is a wonderful operating system, all of which have a magnificent potential of staying on the cutting edge for another year at least if well taken-care of. But still, I realised that the majority of the reason why I LOVE that device is because of the Community and the work it has done!

Mappero, Ossipena's Vertsms, The Stardict ports, the Canola and Media Box Ports, qole's fantastically brilliant Easy Debian, Abiword, the many games, the billion hacks and inputs like Brightness Applet, Media-player notification, call notify, tweakr, ProfileX, Yellow Notes, Live Wallpaper, Claws Mail port, conky, CuteExplorer, The Emulators, FM Radio. fMMS, Hermes, Healthcheck, GTranslate, Macuco, Tear, MGutenberg, Sudoku, Maepad, QTRapids, Transmission, R-Conversations, Tuner, Ukeyboard, and much MUCH more (just to name a few off the top of my head!).

All of these above are community generated or ported apps to our devices, especially the N900. You people are the reason that the N900 exists, and why it is an AMAZING and pretty much mature device, despite any additional stuff we might need. I am extremely thankful for everything you guys have done for me and one another, and I hope that when the time comes for a new phone, I would find a community like ours. Your patches, ports and apps have solved major problems, helped me with day-to-day problems and have made my life much easier and made this experience much better than it was originally intended, had it been left solely to Nokia's hands. Thank you very much for everything. I only wish I could finish the bulk of my work and studies soon so that I could at least learn some coding skills and make/help out with one app as a gift for this community.

Most of all of course, I am extremely thankful for the Epic PR 1.2 thread! I have laughed in extreme ways throughout this entire thing that I am actually sad PR 1.2 has been released, and I hope we can have a new thread of its caliber, all while keeping the original one closed in its pristine quality

Thank you, everyone!

B.

P.S. If you agree with me, you know what to do

EDIT: Added these to list as per S0cerr0ur's reques and quotationt:

1. Hide User Agent - Trick the browser its a PC browser. Websites will always default to desktop version, instead of the mobile version!
2. Mobile hotspot - Turns the N900 into a wifi internet hotspot!
3. Mypaint - super advanced paint app - that makes use of the untalked feature PRESSURE sensitivity!!! (try it - or watch on youtube!)
4. Mediabox - Brings all youtube clips to the N900 in HQ with perfect framerate!

EDIT 2: I am also adding from below my/our MASSIVE THANK YOU to the moderators of this forum who make it something that human beings can use! You handle our many repetitive and redundant posts and you create sense of out of them;. We thank you for being the organisers of our chaos

Last edited by BN900; 2010-06-01 at 01:09.

The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to BN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
To you man, i doesnt have my N900 (i got stolen) but i stay in this forums because this great community

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maguitodelrock For This Useful Post:
Agreed. This is indeed a wonderful community, the people here is really helpful. Thank you guys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolrose For This Useful Post:
<3 maemo.org

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psymastr For This Useful Post:
just giving the thread a bump back into active topics

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
This is the only point of maemo today: maemo.org.
I'm a troll, but after a while here, I'm a domesticated troll, because here lives a LOT OF GREAT PEOPLE, working a lot for free, for us...
But that does not mean THANKS to Nokia.
Nokia never done its homeworks, and people here are not magicians.
I hope Nokia kick our *** soon, but releasing closed drivers to open.
Then this could be a REAL COMMUNITY, without trolls, without fanboys.
Yes, I love n900+maemo.org, but hate n900+Nokia.
Regards.
01-26-10 , 01:09 PM ... 05-26-10 , 05:41 PM
...A PLACE TO REMEMBER...

R.I.P.

N900 killed me... please, tell my friends "BLAAAABLABLABLAAAHHHHH"

You're right! If it hadn't been for this community, would would find very few reasons to stay with the N900 given all the massive growth of Android!

And it is simply amazing how everyone helps, from the smallest to the largest of aid. I doubt anything would come close in the coming years It's truly wonderful being a member of this community with you people.

But I think Nokia had always planned the phone to be like that. They just didn't expect the growth of Android to make them look so bad in being uncaring for their phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to BN900 For This Useful Post:
i was lurking on these forums for months to scope out the community to see if was good or not

and guess what ? i wouldnt be typing this from my n900 today if it wasnt

The Following User Says Thank You to yodawg For This Useful Post:
this is the best community I have experienced ... been in the community of palm os, winmo for the past years

The Following User Says Thank You to fergusso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Maybe it was Nokia's goal. Like in the Watchmen. Do something evil for the greater good...... something tells me they lack the foresight to complete such an endeavor . Nice post. I have a Nexus One but I still come here everyday not to troll but see what is happenings and also get insight for the next release.