Notices

ArnimS...

Now that OS2008 is out will you have to re-complie DOSBox to work with that? or will it just install without a problem?

Alright... so I have dosbox.

I jumped through the hoops: downloaded, unpacked, moved, chmod'd, added ArnimS repository manually, got libsdl_net, red pill'd, got xkbd.

Then I dug out my old archives and copied the greatest PC game in the history of the world onto my device. (and then hunted around for the 1.4 patch, because apparently I didn't archive that. d'oh!)

Then I whittled my way through the dosbox conf settings, looking for what works and what doesn't.

And in the end, I was this close.
I nearly had XCom (zomg!) running acceptably on the n800 under dosbox.
(it's slow, but speed isn't that necessary for XCom - and I'm keeping my eye on the unlocked CPU speed with OS 2008)

But this mouse thing is killing me. The pointer doesn't follow the stylus properly. In my case the pointer winds up offset below and to the left. Further, whenever it passes over a clickable section of the game interface, it seems to 'stick' about half the time. (interface button stays depressed, pointer disappears altogether, no stylus movement does anything - except removing the stylus from the screen, which completes the 'click'.)

In short: does anyone have any sort of insight, fix or hack to sort out this mouse problem? For the love of all that's XCom - help me out guys.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey Roc!

I'm no programmer of any kind so this is the best advice I can give you at this time.

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/to...TOPIC_ID=35786

I also have a question, but it's quiet pathetic on my behalf.

I've read the messages but I can't seem to put together each step needed to run Dosbox.

I have a n800 with default settings and no updates.

I'd really like to see if I can run Ancient Domain of Mystery (Nethack clone) on this tablet.

Any chance someone could quickly write up a step by step newbie guide on how to get Dosbox along with the touchscreen keyboard working properly?

I'm not expecting a response, but I do have my fingers crossed hoping someone can help a brother out on this.

Right now, all I've got is "X Terminal" installed but that's as far as I could get.

Thanks.

Recalling from memory how it went, I apologize if I miss anything or if this isn't the level of detail you were looking for.

Fire up the application manger and add ArnimS' repository manually.
Application Manger->Tools->Application Catalog->New...
catalog name: pupnik-extras
web address: http://pupnik.de/
distribution: gregale/
(leave the components field blank)

Once that's added, it should ask to refresh the application list. Do that.

Switch over to Red Pill mode.

In red pill mode, you should see xkbd in the list of applications you can download and install. install it.

Go back to blue pill mode.

Grab ArnimS' dosbox .65 port from here,
sample dosbox.conf from here and libsdl_net from here

Unpack the dosbox tgz.
(the 'unzip' program in the maemo garage worked just fine - it may not look like it does anything, but it will unpack the archive and put the expanded files into a subdirectory)
While you're there, double-click the libsdl_net deb file. this should fire up the application manager and install the library.

Open dosbox.conf with notes (or some other text editor). In the [autoexec] section, add the following:
mount c /media/mmc2/games

That will make dosbox mount the directory 'games' on the internal memory card as the 'c' drive when you're in dos. you can switch that path to wherever you want to store your dos apps.
/media/mmc1 is the external card.
/home/user/MyDocs is the equivalent path to the root node in File Manager (the node that shows the name of your device).
(Also note some of the default directories names aren't identical from the console and through File Manger. E.g. 'games' in file manager is /home/user/MyDocs/.games
one dot, big difference.)

Pop open xterm and make a directory in /home/user called 'dos'.
(because the n800 won't run code off the memory card. standard unix syntax applies.
E.g. cd /home/user
mkdir dos

Copy the file 'dosbox' you got from the tgz archive and dosbox.conf to /home/user/dos
E.g. cp /home/user/MyDocs/dosbox /home/user/dos/dosbox

While in /home/user/dos do a chmod gou+rx dosbox to mark the app executable.

switch over to xterm and launch dosbox with xkbd via a command line like...
xkbd | /home/user/dos/dosbox -conf dosbox.conf
the keyboard should pop up and dosbox should be running.

you may also want to install osso-statusbar-cpu (not sure what repository its from). That'll add a resouce monitor to your system tray, and will let you kill processes. Handy if you 'lose' dosbox.
(dosbox doesn't show up on the running app list. If you switch away from it while it's running, I haven't found a way to switch back. So it's not visible, but it's still running. I don't know if there's a more graceful way to correct the situation, but my preferred method is to just click the statusbar-cpu icon and kill the dosbox process.)

Also, it's handy to have a seperate conf file for each app you try to run in dosbox, and to save those conf files somewhere you can get to them via the File Manager, so you can tweak settings more easily. For example, i have an xcom.conf in the 'games' directory in file manager and run dosbox from the xterm with:

xkbd | /home/user/dos/dosbox -conf /home/user/MyDocs/.games/xcom.conf

Last edited by Roc Ingersol; 2007-11-11 at 03:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roc Ingersol For This Useful Post:
Thanks a bunch Roc!

If you're ever in Lansing Michigan, stop by at my house and I'll share my pop tarts and beer with you!

I seriously spent (wasted) a good two hours rifling through the internet, which to me is just a daily, turd depository, hitting every site with the keywords dosbox and nokia in them. I totally came up empty, so my sincerest thanks for taking the time to write that all out.

Well, I don't have wireless at my house but I'll go through each of your steps on Monday at my University and I'll post back on how horrible things went for me.

Cheers!

I found this and thought it might help you out with X-Com.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index....89&mode=linear

Just my way of saying thanks again.

Thanks.
I'd already stumbled through just about every XCom/Dosbox repository around trying to get this running. I'm all set at the moment, except that the cursor just doesn't work properly.

It's the whole 'absolute' versus 'relative' mousing coordinates thing.

That first tabletPC link you sent was close, but their work-around was ms tabletXP-specific. I was kinda hoping I didn't have to crack open the development tools and try to patch things myself. =/

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I have been trying to get Windows 311 running to no avail. It loads everything but is having issues on the display when windows trys to load to finish install process...

Why, Why Not?

Anybody got a working link to libSDL_net-1.2.so (for 2008 if possible)

*/ I got a copy from http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo3.2/free/binary/ but is not fully working */

Last edited by BOFH; 2007-11-14 at 15:02.

Hey Roc!

It's been a few days and apparently I'm still caught up in a slight hang up with your directions.

I have CME's xkbd package installed. Joy!
and I now have a directory
/home/user/dos

The problem is, I can't copy the folder "dosbox" there.

For some reason the unzip program didn't know how to open the dosbox file at Arnim's site.

So right now I have the unzipped folder "dosbox" on my internal memory card.

If I go into X Term and type
cd ..
cd ..

then type

cp /media/mmc2/dosbox /home/user/dos/dosbox
I get this message

cp: omitting directory '/media/mmc2/dosbox'
Grrrrr.

I am too stupid to live!

One other comment, also at Arnim's site I tried to get TOME to work as well.

His instructions are to put the folder "tomeinst" into
/user/home and not /home/user like you said in your last post.

I don't have wireless internet at home so I just unzipped the file and put in on my internal memory card.

Again I tried
cp /media/mmc2/tomeinst /user/home

and still getting
cp: omitting directory '/media/mmc2/tomeinst'

It would be great if I could continue receiving some help on this.

If I do or if I don't, either way, I think I'm getting drunk tonight.

Cheers.