Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
...There has to be a cut off point for this where we give up, it's really down to the patience of Wikiwide and netvandal. I'm slightly worried about Wikiwide's latest posts as waiting may be damaging his mental health

Having a device must be a lot more preferable to having a share of the bounty, but at what point do we cut our losses and say a bounty share is better than having nothing..

Edit: email to ivgalvez sent, will update on reply.
Edit2: ivgalvez has heard nothing back, I've emailed a possible contact (not too hopeful)
Edit3: I've emailed the maemo-community mailing list to bring our situation to a wider audience.
Edit4: I have two new leads, I've forwarded their contact details on.
Grateful for your efforts, and hopeful about the new leads.
Late is better than never; I am one of those who are more likely to forget about something than to consciously give it up.
And with my inability to properly follow flow of time... Let's just compare my patience with metal, one gram of which can be stretched into 2km-long wire,
Despite all the difficulties, or because of them, I am wishing Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.

Best wishes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@wikiwide
But even 1g of metal may break (depending of alloy).
I am sorry for you and netvandal missing your devices. Hopefully you will receive them within January.
Merry christmas.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Hopefully you will receive them within January.
We'll do our best to make that happen for them

As an update, we have two new contacts within Nokia who we've reached out to. One is an old friend of maemo.org and one was provided by thedead1440 and Rainisto (thanks guys). Fingers crossed after the holidays we'll make some progress in tracking down these missing devices.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-12-27 at 12:04.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Thank you, kojacker and fcrochik, thedead1440 and Rainisto.

Hollow spines of sea urchin are brittle, flexible and strong
African-designed and China-manufactured smart-phone is launched in Kongo
Peculiarity of Tizen is its compatibility with WebOS and Firefox OS while somehow managing to differentiate itself from both of them, and gaining Samsung's support behind it.
Perhaps, Jolla, Maemo, MeeGo, Mer, Nemo, Tizen, in their fight against Android, Blackberry, iOS, Windows, will manage to liberate smart-phone hardware from one-device-one-os ties.
Year of snake is arriving, as dragon loses its wings; yet in the storm starting the hope still joyfully sings.

Nokia's current light seems to be Lumia, discussed ardently in news, but let's not forget that a captain does need many stars to navigate within the threatening waves of vast ocean of time.
Even as others in this race overtake the Nokia's sleigh, Nokia takes the opportunity the put the reins on them, to remain moving, above the surface, until it regains its sense of direction.
While they may have better marketing, and seem to be a more appealing brand, a bloated closed-source operating system is merely a castle built out of sand.

Yet, even as I wish to cheer up, I am still bored out of my mind; there are so many small events praised like galas, and yet, even if aliens arrived, they would go unnoticed amidst the fuss and hustle.
Even as they see miraculous - compared to several centuries ago - objects in their hands, people are still ready to rush and throw away "the best" because they have heard of something "better".
As cheerful as I am, I still need to recharge my optimism by staying awake during a night or two.
Rest I do not find in sleep but apathy instead deep akin to a blanket, a steep, without clouds to sweep away from this land sweet.
[Edit]
Quick reply...
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Now it seems he is gone totally mad.
NOKIANS: please read this and release the two missing devices immediately to protect him from the worst!
Thank you for your concern. Plain speech: sleeping is boring, and daytime is too distracting, so I prefer to be most active at night.
If you are also an insomniac, you might like Richard Christian Matheson's "Vampire".
[/Edit]
[Edit]
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Nokia, this is a public health & safety announcement...
Please release the two remaining dev devices immediately.
Devs entitled to them are at risk of a mental breakdown.

Thank-you.
Thank you for your concern. Unfortunately, the main problem with Noka is not deliberate refusal to send the devices, but rather deafness and forgetfulness - inability to find the devices.
If you are concerned about public safety in this century, you might enjoy movie "Through the Thorns to the Stars".
[/Edit]

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-01-06 at 13:20. Reason: peterleinchen, then jalyst

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Rest I do not find in sleep but apathy instead deep akin to a blanket, a steep, without clouds to sweep away from this land sweet.
Now it seems he is gone totally mad.
NOKIANS: please read this and release the two missing devices immediately to protect him from the worst!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Nokia, this is a public health & safety announcement...
Please release the two remaining dev devices immediately.
Devs entitled to them are at risk of a mental breakdown.

Thank-you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Hi all, here's a blast from the past! We have a few loose ends to tie up on the competition, but don't worry - we're like elephants and never forget! And the good news is that we have some progress to report

In regards to the 2 missing devices, both netvandal and Wikiwide have been offered N950s. These aren't exactly what they were originally promised (N9s) but I hope they'll still find them useful just the same i know netvandal received his on Friday, and I've messaged Wikiwide to see how his delivery is progressing.

i want to take a moment to thank everyone that helped with finding a Nokia contact to assist us with replacing the missing packages - it took a lot of perserverance but thanks to you all we seem to have got that sorted.

In regards to the bounty - Hossein replied with a paypal address to send his prize money today, and zehjotkah has sent it already.

Also, you'll remember we kept the bounty share from the Location & Navigation category just in case the missing devices were lost. That means that once we get confirmation from Wikiwide that his device prize has been received, we'll have that 116 euros free again to award to other developers

As mentioned earlier in the thread, we'll assign it to the "Desktop..." and "Updates..." categories as (apart from the additional beginners spin off category) these two were the most heavily entered. To keep it simple we'll split it in 2 (for each category), and 2 again (for each winner) - so each winner will get 29 euros each. It's not a huge amount, but enough for a DVD or CD or a night at the cinema or whatever else you want to do with it (I won't judge). So stay tuned for that, I'll be in touch

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
It was "that hard" for them to source N9's compared to N950's? Really? Jesus Nokia... >.>
Thanks for the update & thanks to everyone* involved in resolving this, I don't think we should be thanking Nokia as-a-whole though.

*Nokia employees included

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-28 at 14:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Hi all, we still have a few loose ends to tie up on the competition. Apologies for being so late to do this, I tried hard to find an excuse to blame for the lateness but actually it's completely my fault so anyway.. :P

As you know we had a little money left over in the community bounty from the Location category and this was split up between 4 applications - USSD Balance, Modern Computer Flatboat, qMetro, and Crazy Chickens Game. Each developer gets 29 euros, so well done to them. It's not a huge amount of money but hopefully they can buy a book, DVD, have a night at the cinema, or just have a few beers on us - we won't judge Guys, if you haven't already replied to me please check your inbox

It would be terribly remiss of me not to thank a lot of people who have helped out with this competition. The only reason we get through it every year is because so many people do their best to help and make sure we get across the finish line. I'm going to miss out some names, so apologies in advance - you know who you are and that you were appreciated!

First I want to thank the real stars of the community - everyone who entered and everyone who pledged their hard earned cash into the community bounty fund. I won't lie, I was genuinely worried there wouldn't be much interest in the competition last year with all the ups and downs in our Maemo/MeeGo/Nokia relationships. I needn't have worried as the entrants were arguably stronger than ever! And in the midst of a global economic downturn we collected 840 euros of donations. More proof that our community is incredibly strong, supportive and resourceful!

I want to thank all our friends who helped us at Nokia, who once again were incredibly generous to us by donating 25 device prizes (14 N950s and 11 N9s) to our winners. Especially Quim (qgil) for taking such an interest in the competition and always backing us to the hilt. During the competition, Nokia's relationship with Maemo unfortunately changed and a lot of our Nokian friends moved on to other ventures, and we'll sorely miss their support in any future competitions.

For the above reason, we did have some difficulties with getting the last two devices shipped out. In the end we managed it with a lot of help, so amongst others I'd like to thank ivgalvez, qwazix, Rainisto, thedead1440, attila77, Mikko Tarkiainen, and ... Stephen Elop! Or atleast his secretary And a big thankyou to Wikiwide and netvandal for their patience while we sorted this out.

Throughout every maemo.org competition there's always been one constant - he's the guy we all trust with our money, it's zehjotkah! A big thanks to him for being so responsible and not running off with our money!

At one stage voting was tricky, and I'd like to thank woody14619 for setting up the vote - without his efforts it probably wouldn't have taken place. Wonko's help was invaluable in calculating the vote, and X-Fade got the ball rolling by sending out the token mails for us.

A big thanks to fcrochik for being so generous to donate his community awarded N9 to our coding competition pool, and for hosting a site for our competition entries on his own web server space. Thanks to qwazix we had a cool banner for the competition this year. And a big thank you to the council members for their support and help throughout the competition.

Last but not least, I would like to thank everyone who took part in this discussion thread. It's you who come up with the ideas and drive the competition on, and it's you who will decide if we have another competition in 2013!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Thank-you too kojacker, for being the glue that tied all this excellent co-operation together!
It's easy to get depressed about the politics that sometimes gets out of control here, but when one looks closely at programs like this, it immediately puts a smile back on one's face.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas