Posts: 44 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ WA, USA
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
For anybody who doesn't want to hack anything together, I have found another solution. Get a Motorola SKN6252 mini-usb to micro-usb adapter. Then use a regular A to mini-b USB cable from the dumb charger. I have verified this to work. I got the adapter from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Adapter-.../dp/B000IBLD3E. I am using this 'shorty' cable from Cyberguys.com: http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...roductid=10030.

Here is an action shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandersnaxe/4227462726/
I have SKN6252 and it does not make my dumb mini USB chargers work with n900. I have about 8+ of those and only 1 works with N900 using SKN6252.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by tokuro View Post
I have SKN6252 and it does not make my dumb mini USB chargers work with n900. I have about 8+ of those and only 1 works with N900 using SKN6252.
Thanks for this. This is exactly what I suspected. Shorting the pins is the only for-sure answer.

Just shorted the center pins on my cheapie cig lighter usb adaptor and it now works like a charm. Charging using the supplied n900 usb cable. Many thanks for this.

Mike C

is there a way to short the centre pins without a solder iron?

Originally Posted by guy2die4 View Post
is there a way to short the centre pins without a solder iron?
Not safely. You have got +5v and ground on either side. Shorting these may not be good.

I've found this cable that seems to be just what we need to charge our n900. I purchased it based on the "bad" reviews which in our case is exactly what we need. So charge only, no sync.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...1MRA&cp=1&lp=1

I have a zagsparqq that only worked occasionally with the provided cable, with this cable it worked right away. You can find it on ebay for much cheaper. Hope this helps.

I have a ac adapter with a usb port on it. I was just wondering if it is safe to use with the supplied usb cable as a second charger.

It says output dc 5v max: 1000ma min: 150 ma

Would this be safe to use with my n900?

Hmm I plugged it in, it workd, but do you think this could damage my n900 in any way?
Attached Images

Last edited by woodyear99; 2009-12-30 at 23:06.

It depends on the quality of the charger. It's difficult to tell without checking it out with instruments. But if you can get your hands on a multimeter and measure its voltage it could give an indication. If it provides between 5V and 5.2V or so, and not something wildly different, then it may be OK. No guarantees though. Many China-made chargers are total rubbish, while others are completely fine. If it was provided as part of a kit with some decent, well-known product, then it's probably OK as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Nah actually it was a cheap chinese kit I ordered off ebay for my sansa mp3 player. I just may skip using it with my n900, not taking any chances on this one lol. Will try to purchase another usb cable instead.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Francisco
Originally Posted by cheeze[it] View Post
wow, I hope I don't have an issues with my power block. I just ordered this:Zagg Sparq I was planning to use it to charge multiple device and also hoped it would charge the N900 on the go. So I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best =(
It does NOT charge the N900 -- on 20-40 min hold with Zagg to see how they intend to resolve.

Tags
charging, nokia n900