Notices

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Useful feedback none-the-less, thanks for the testing. I'm running at 950 mhz most of the time and as long as I don't get any other system sounds or usage spikes pop up I'm generally fine.

Still, development is still ongoing as I get time, should be worth keeping an eye on the thread for updates. There may be something with more functionality later tonight but it's unlikely to address performance directly.

cheers

Originally Posted by mr id View Post
Always interested in metrics. What speed are you running your n900 at, and what was the latency you were getting? I know it's sizeable (it's never going to be real-time and pulseaudio has an impact on this as well
I'm runnin my device at 900Mhz at a low voltage (xlu?)
This is why you should do the rewrite! Simple code and direct Alsa access.
Definitely not a bug, sounds like a feature request to me Thanks a lot for the numbers.
Its maybe a feature request, but that's not important now.
No problem, if you need more help on specific tasks as measuring latency and so on, PM me.
I gues tuning pulseaudio would posibly help too. (run htop and sort on +time, and you'll see its on second place after X (opviously)
As I said I'm pretty sure that the pole ordering is different between the devices but I would love to be proved wrong - did you get a chance yet?
No sorry, we talked about it at work, but I forgot. But i read some others had dissapointing results, it's like someone did that on purpose
I've also been playing around with HEN mode and USB ADC devices but we're missing some kernel/module magic to get the audio devices registered and available. They enumerate and show up in the logs correctly but they aren't registered for audio (they also burn power at an alarming rate).

Thanks again for your feedback.
NP, as this is a interesting piece of sw

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Is it possible to cancel the playback of tracks when you are recording? Would this allow you to record more tracks as the device will only be playing 1? I don't think turning the volume down works as it's still reading it. Just a thought.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
Hi ; I can't seem to launch the demorecorder (it's a single executable, right ?) file, I'm always getting a "permission denied" from sh...? (even as root) I'd really like to give it a try

Originally Posted by xaccrocheur View Post
Hi ; I can't seem to launch the demorecorder (it's a single executable, right ?) file, I'm always getting a "permission denied" from sh...? (even as root) I'd really like to give it a try
Where've you got it downloaded to? If it's the Fat32 partition you can't get execute rights. Elsewhere, have you tried 'chmod +x'?

You could still be without some dependencies after that but shouldn't be a permission denied error.

cheers

Edit: oh and don't run it as root.

Last edited by mr id; 2011-01-31 at 21:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Where've you got it downloaded to? If it's the Fat32 partition you can't get execute rights. Elsewhere, have you tried 'chmod +x'?

You could still be without some dependencies after that but shouldn't be a permission denied error.

cheers

Edit: oh and don't run it as root.
Arg, I *always* forget about this damn FAT32 thingie

Where is demorecorder now ? I tested it and it did what it claimed to to ; Now will it evolve ?

The Following User Says Thank You to xaccrocheur For This Useful Post:
Where is demorecorder now ? I tested it and it did what it claimed to to ; Now will it evolve ?
As soon as I get some free time it will evolve. I've been exploring lot's of related things behind the scenes but have lacked the time to really take things forward. Things should change after a couple of weeks.

For demorecorder I really need to solve the synch issues - either convert the pipeline to use gnonlin (which is what Filmore uses) or introduce some destructive editing to the wave samples, gnonlin will hit the performance and manipulating the wav source will introduce pauses / delays in the user workflow.

But really it's a case of finding the time. I'm still commited to it - oddly, more so since the nonsense of the last few days from Nokia - and I should see my work schedule easing up in the next few weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Any news of the only multitrack recording solution for maemo ? Does it work under meego as well ?

The Following User Says Thank You to xaccrocheur For This Useful Post:
Any news of the only multitrack recording solution for maemo ? Does it work under meego as well ?
A lot of things have gotten in the way of progress - some relevant, some not - life etc. I spent a lot of time refactoring, looking for improvements for the n900 without really getting anywhere.

I am currently working on a multitracker for Harmattan/N9 - as it's a lot more powerful with later versions of Gstreamer et al I'm a lot more optomistic of something that can work for all.

Basically, I'm rewriting from the ground up, in Qt*/C++ using a Gnonlin/Gstreamer back-end. Once it's working for N9/950 I'll take it across to plain Qt/Meego for my netbook/touchscreen and then see if it runs at all on the N900. Who knows we may get lucky.

Sorry, it's not better news for you.

If you want an idea for how I'm simplifying the interface down, here's a wip of the recording screen on the N950. The bottom 3 icons are window tabs to change between Recording/Mixing/Editing views, the 4th is extended options/settings.

Still a way to go. Thank you for your continued interest of course!

* With the move from Gtk to Qt/Qml as the platform of choice for Harmattan Meego using Vala/Gtk isn't really a viable option right now so I can't try a simple recompile and run it on the N950 to compare performance.