Active Topics

Hi guys.

So I remember buying the n900 in 2009.

And when I got a job and had a busy life around 2010 , I got an iphone for convenience and never looked back.

I was skeptical that there would ever be a successor to the n900 , but just last week I found out , and I was surprised.

So I bought a n9 64gb in a heartbeat.

Have to be honest, this does not seem no were ahead as the n900 was. There isin't much to do on it , apps window , notifications window , and background running apps window , that is all. No Desktops , no widgets , no folders , (not a pc experience)

So long story short my question is , has there ever been a android decide implemented on running maemo 5?

I mean if n900 had a a8 t instruments cpu , just like any other android why should it be hard?

Anyway I would love to see maemo 5 tweaked running on the latest nexus or something , with both vertical and horizontal menus.

Thank you!

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
check Neo900 and fremantle threads. Not all Maemo5 components are done by opensource community, some components are still in binary blobs.

Well no offense but I am not really interested in paying an overprice , thick hardware that features a dual core processor from 2 years ago.

I guess maemo can't be implemented on android devices , shame.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by denizg View Post
Well no offense but I am not really interested in paying an overprice , thick hardware that features a dual core processor from 2 years ago.

Dude. If you want a niche product of the past like neo900 you have to pay for it. They do it on their free time(I guess) and order very small numbers) Not even jolla who selling thousands of devices can keep up with the big vendors and so you have to pay overprice for low specs to get a jolla jPhone. Let go of the past and say hallo to the future. While n900 was/is awsome other oses have moved on. No OS has everything so you need several different devices. Why not get some cool tech instead as a complement.

And the answer ot your question: No!

By the way. Welcome to the forum. Please don't complain in 100% of your posts. We have a limit of 50%. If you breaking that rule we are calling the police.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-23 at 14:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Dude. If you want a niche product of the past like neo900 you have to pay for it. They do it on their free time(I guess) and order very small numbers) Not even jolla who selling thousands of devices can keep up with the big vendors and so you have to pay overprice for low specs to get a jolla jPhone. Let go of the past and say hallo to the future. While n900 was/is awsome other oses have moved on. No OS has everything so you need several different devices. Why not get some cool tech instead as a complement.

And the answer ot your question: No!

By the way. Welcome to the forum. Please don't complain in 100% of your posts. We have a limit of 50%. If you breaking that rule we are calling the police.
all i am saying is maemo 5 is really great.Even n9's meego software feels incomplete , why can't we transfer the maemo 5 software to the new nexus

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
all i am saying is maemo 5 is really great.Even n9's meego software feels incomplete , why can't we transfer the maemo 5 software to the new nexus
While i agree With that IT wont happen. Sorry. So move on.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb

why , it's not like one uses 64bit desktop architecture and other does not.

I've seen maemo 5 run early osx and windows on n900 , something n9 couldn't even do. I wanna dream again.

n9 feels like an iphone with its basic icons.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi

there are reasons that Maemo 5 is no longer around in the retail and one of those being it would have been a killer OS once set free from the Nokia imposed 2009 hardware restrictions and ported to a range of different form factor devices with enough RAM and decent processor speed.
People in the industry have paid considerably to make sure to never see this happen.
So it is normal that you have to pay premium to get a preview of what could have been.
I don't think that a 2 year old processor is a restriction for Maemo 5 or even Sailfish.
The thick form factor of the N900 (so comfortable to hold) is missed over here but that is totally subjective matter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
A lot of the Maemo5 components (including the drivers) are not open source, that is the main reason.