Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by specc View Post
yet another person to my ignore list so I dont feed this troll...

Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
Wait for them to explain their strategy then jump in, they haven't done that so far.
That's true. You have to wonder why they decided to start announcing stuff now if they're not ready, but whatever rocks their boat (pun intended) I suppose. I don't care about their strategy. I'm not looking to invest in them, work for them, enter into a "strategic partnership" with them, or any of that crap. I might care about their product enough to buy it, but it's looking less and less likely the more details are revealed. So again, I have to wonder why they would start announcing vague stuff when they know they'll only disappoint in the end?

Originally Posted by lma View Post
So again, I have to wonder why they would start announcing vague stuff when they know they'll only disappoint in the end?
I am pretty psyched! Good to see this tiny company enter a market like cellphones. It's natural they won't satisfy everyone and of course there are loads of other options for consumers

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I Wonder how they are planning the gps/glonass software. They Will be so behind google/nokia maps. I Doubt nokia will license their software to a competitor. Voice guided navigation is pretty important nowdays.

Also, working With texts or navigate in any text are Really Useless in n9 And I Wonder How Jolla Shall Be Able To Handle Usability When Nokia Did such A lousy Job, or Jolla Just Try To Get Anything To Market Without Standard smartness.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-07-17 at 22:39.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's true. You have to wonder why they decided to start announcing stuff now if they're not ready, but whatever rocks their boat (pun intended) I suppose. I don't care about their strategy. I'm not looking to invest in them, work for them, enter into a "strategic partnership" with them, or any of that crap. I might care about their product enough to buy it, but it's looking less and less likely the more details are revealed. So again, I have to wonder why they would start announcing vague stuff when they know they'll only disappoint in the end?
That's basically it. They are trying to please everyone instead of making a no compromise device that fits at least one niche. You have to wonder though. If it's supposed to be an open source device, and every single person at Jolla has been working with Maemo/MeeGo for years, why don't they come here and tell us what they are up to? It's not like Nokia will come and bite them in the *** if they did. Nokia couldn't care less.

Why don't they set up an alternative site? A jolla.org?

Everything is pointing in the wrong direction. Sad but true.

Let give them some time, and see what they'll set up. Announcing stuff before having a site is wrong IMO, but it's not the worst thing.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
A small startup, probably before they were even ready to go public, are put into a position where outside pressure drives them to announce a pending product release.
This product, to all intent, is based on the linux kernel (not some fork), uses as it's base, a fully open (source and governance) OS and utilising an open source application development framework. it has been indicated that this device will continue where meego left off and offer a fresh new UI and although being a "consumer" device will be openly hackable.
And we still have complaints about it not meeting a "niche" requirement, regardless of the very real economic reality that demands a certain economy of scale in sales to be viable.
I guess if people aren't happy with their, as yet, unreleased device, they can always go and buy a.......oh wait.

You are a bunch of hopeless romantics I'm sure if they locked it down in a safe, 1000 feet below the surface you would still say it is open and free because it's "based on Mer"
I think the hopeless romantic is you. Your notion of open mode from what I can surmise from your rant is totally not commercially viable. If anybody can modify the OS at will, it will end up fragmented like Linux and useless to create an ecosystem or a business on. Some amount of lock-in is necessary for a commercial mass market product if only to maintain compatibility for apps. What you are dreaming of can only be created by a community as an experiment with no monetary intentions and no commercial product.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-07-18 at 03:11.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
I think the hopeless romantic is you. Your notion of open mode from what I can surmise from your rant is totally not commercially viable. If anybody can modify the OS at will, it will end up fragmented like Linux and useless to create an ecosystem or a business on. Some amount of lock-in is necessary for a commercial mass market product if only to maintain compatibility for apps. What you are dreaming of can only be created by a community as an experiment with no monetary intentions and no commercial product.
They are selling devices aren't they?

Everything is pointing in the wrong direction.
Actually, we don't know what direction things are pointing. All we have to go on is a possibly accurate, possibly misleading interview with someone who can't give away all the secrets at this time and no real insight as to what's actually going to happen.

Sad but true.
Please don't claim something is true unless you have some sort of evidence.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla