Notices

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by HAVASD View Post
Roger,
My records indicate that you were sent an acknowledgment email on Tuesday.

HAVASD
Good thing I checked then, because the email went astray or got snapped up by the spam filter.

Looking forward to the software.

Roger

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Just ordered up a Platinum. Be interested in testing this over the internet. Got plenty of upstream at my parents house and an HD DVR to go with it.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Tempe, AZ
Installed on N810 and ready for testing.

Thanks, HAVASD!

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Tempe, AZ
After a few false starts, I must say it works pretty well. Beware that when configuring your Hava password, the first letter is taken as uppercase unless you hit shift first. I also found it necessary to reboot the HAVA HD before the player could connect. On local 802.11g, video is pretty smooth although lag is 4 to 5 seconds and after watching various channels for a while, the video and audio got slightly out of sync. I also connected via BT to my Treo 700P and Sprint's EVDO network but Sprint reception (and thus data rate) at my house is abysmal. I'll try again with the Sprint connection tomorrow somewhere where the signal is better.

I'll also install and test on my N800 tomorrow.

BTW..the faves screen seems to work fine..I configured about 6 faves buttons and they worked just fine. All in all pretty impressive for an early beta!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hkwilliamson For This Useful Post:
Has anyone recieved their software. Still waiting here

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Fascinating to have this working.

Took several attempts to get the Titanium connected on setup — I reset it twice, relaunching the Setup Wizard and, along the way, changing my laptop from a wired to a wireless to an 802.11g-only configuration. The third time around, things took and I hadn't really done anything to fix whatever was the problem before except to reset by powering down.

An hour or two after getting the PC software running, the notice about the beta software for the N8x0 arrived. Installation on my N810 and N800 was uneventful and worked immediately, recognizing and connecting to the Hava without a hitch.

Of course, I immediately had to see what the limits were — no issues with viewing on the laptop and one internet tablet at the same time, except that the laptop ran a second or two behind the TV and the NIT a couple seconds behind the laptop. I can't think of any consequence that has, though.

However, I wasn't able to watch on both tablets at the same time. When one was connected, the other was locked out. Again, I'm not sure if this is of much consequence — or even if it's just one aspect of its being in beta still — since if two of us in the household are watching TV on an internet tablet at the same time, we're probably wanting to watch different channels anyway. That's a bigger issue to resolve by far. [Added later: see note below.]

I haven't had opportunity to test remotely. Don't see anything that would lead me to think it won't work just as well.

Some issues: I have Verizon FIOS, and fortunately I ran across a thread at the MyHava forum indicating I should simply choose the Comcast DCT6412 remote. That seems to be working OK.

Also I didn't see anything in the QuickStart or instructions about the WiFi hardware — from the photos online, I concluded that the USB dongle is really a USB wireless receiver. I wasn't able to connect when I attached the base to the Titanium and put the dongle into the base, but did when I just connected the dongle directly to the USB port on the Titanium. (I don't know if this was unnecessary or whether something else enabled the connection to finally be made.)

I approached the whole thing rather blithely, but during the course of the setup I realized that I had to connect wirelessly, since my router is located far from the room with the set-top box; and what was going on with the network that Hava sets up and which my laptop needed to connect to wasn't all that clear. Fortunately, once connection was established, the process was automatic and didn't require any intervention.

My Dell laptop has built-in WiFi with 802.11a, b and g. I had configured it long ago to connect to both b and g networks, but the Hava Setup concluded that the card was only b. I don't know if that's because of how it was connecting to the router, but I wasn't able to connect to the Hava until I configured the card to accept only g connections. A small note but one that might save somebody else a little time.

Also, it wasn't until I was in the midst of the setup that I realized how critical it is to know the type of remote that controls the set-top box. Without that knowledge, there's no way to change channels from the tablet (or PC). So I see I could easily have been stymied last night and not gotten things working so easily.

All in all, though, a sheer delight.

Roger

Added later: Of course, Hava permits only one remote viewer at a time, with multicasting being restricted to local viewing. I hadn't realized that the N8x0 Hava Player is using that internet viewing slot, which is why only one tablet at a time could connect. (It probably also explains why the tablet display lags a second or two behind the PC display of the same show.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Has anyone received their software?
Got the email with the download URL last night around 9 pm EST. (Thursday 5/8)

On the PC side, I like how you can record whatever you are streaming. I don't think Sling has that feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
The HAVA player beta .40 software was downloaded on my PC this morning and installed on my N800 via the wifi connection. I had an initial setup glitch regarding the HAVA password but it was not the capitialization issue noted above but the double key strike problem that is a known problem with the tablets and OS2008. This is of course no fault of the beta but I mention it in case others have a password entry problem. If you take it slow, you can see if there is a double character entered before it changes to "*".

I am very impressed with the initial operation of this first beta (some limitations as noted by others) and look forward to improvements with the subsequent releases. GOOD WORK HAVA Team!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to jweinel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
Reggie, you are right on that Sling shortfall. There are 3rd party applications (one payware, at least two freeware) that can do it, but the HAVA records in MPEG which is a definite plus for my needs.

Tags
hava, video hava