I purchased a used iGo Stowaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard which apparently worked fine for the previous owner. I have a Nokia N800 and it does detect the keyboard but I can't seem to pair them. I know that I have to put the same password on the keyboard as indicated on the tablet but it just keeps on failing. One issue maybe that this keyboard does not really have a numbers row so I assume I have to press the Fn key for each number that I enter. Am I correct on this assumption? Perhaps someone that has the same setup can guide me and suggest a few things. I'm sure it's just something very simple that I am overlooking.

Thanks.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Yes you are correct - function key controls the numbers.

There's a great walk through posted here somewhere.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Kally View Post
I purchased a used iGo Stowaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard which apparently worked fine for the previous owner. I have a Nokia N800 and it does detect the keyboard but I can't seem to pair them. [snip] One issue maybe that this keyboard does not really have a numbers row so I assume I have to press the Fn key for each number that I enter.
There are dozens of existing threads on this topic. It's a common problem.

As for tips, "keep trying" covers most of it. But:
  • You will need to hold down Fn while pressing the number keys. Also, accidentally releasing Fn a hair before the modified key is easy to do and will result in, say, "1q" rather than "1".
  • You need to press "Enter" on the keyboard after entering the code.
  • Make sure you've done the "Ctrl + Fn + Fn" step on your keyboard to ready it for pairing.
  • You need to tap the "OK" button in the dialog box on your tablet before the tablet will be willing to listen to the code from the keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Thank you - I will re-read all this but from what I read some people have problems and some don't and they all seem to differ and some don't even get resolved. Before buying it I read how great it was but it's obviously not so easy if so many people are having problems but I am determined and will keep on trying. I will also change the batteries in case that is an issue - who knows may as well try everything.

Thanks.

Did you set the keyboard to discoverable mode? If you did not then look at the back of the keyboard. You would find a three key combination to do this.... I can't remember what it was. Hold down this combination and you should see a blinking green light.

If you had done the previous step and it wasn't pairing, try taking out the batteries. I had a similar problem... but and simply reflashed my tablet. It was brand new and had nothing in it so I had no data to lose

hope this helps.,..

ooops... just saw sjgadsby post

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
It's non-obvious to get them paired but once you get the hang of it they'll hook up reliably. The Stowaway and the N800 are a way cool text entry team, so don't give up.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
I agree - once you get them paired, the Stowaway works great. I was just setting one up for my brother-in-law. It worked on OS2007 then after I upgraded him to OS2008 Chinook (not ready for Diablo yet), I could not get it paired. Then after an overnight rest, I tried the next day and paired the first time.

This is what worked for me http://alan.blog-city.com/n800_keyboard.htm I recommend reading through it first, then doing the pairing.

Kally mentions the most important factor that I've found: batteries. I ALWAYS change the batteries first, and that's usually all that's needed. I use NiMH rechargeables so it doesn't matter is I take out a "fresh" set... they just go back in the charger.

Also, Diablo seems to have fixed the automatic re-pairing-after-restart - so far, (knock on wood) I've only had to do the pairing once since upgrading.

Last edited by Samatva; 2008-07-13 at 05:04.