1. battery life is really bad, I have 2g on,disabled everything and it still horrible I charged it all night went to shower got dressed (not using it and its not connected to wifi or edge) I get on the bus and this garbage is already at 88% I checked tops and nothing is over 2% cpu load WTH I tried rebooting but nothing working in fact it takes me 2 or more tries to even get the phone to boot it will just shut off on its own and whenever I do reboot 30% of the battery is gone after 3 reboots it was at 2%

2.later on none of my media would display and the app manger gives me an error no repos (I didn't install anything or remove) I can even do any of the solutions online the phone tells me no memory in root but I cant do anything because it tells me I dont have access then when I log on to root it tells me something else!!!!! what is wrong with this the media is still on the phone I can view it app manger but in the music player and gallery its empty I deleted all my emails and converstations because it started with me getting a converstation error

3.No I cant flash it i'm on the road and dont have my USB these problems just started out of nowhere

4.errors so far
no space in conversations
no permission when i'm in root
app manger no repos
no media
apt_update/clean/purge etc etc none of them will work

bad phone, i'll get a xperia play

if I can fix this without flashing maybe i'll change my opinion

Last edited by chemist; 2011-04-18 at 15:28. Reason: language

The Following User Says Thank You to kemar7856 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I wouldn't have wrote it like that if i was asking for help... pretty much any smart dude would not.

The problems you have can probably be fixed... the easiest way would be a reflash though and it would probably make your phone more responsive. If you want better battery you should consider the power-kernel.

open terminal and write "df -h" and report the output.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
You can get decent battery life from the N900 so long as you don't run anything that stops the processor going into its low power sleep mode, you want to use powertop to look into this rather than top, but I won't help you with this, if you want to sort it out there are plenty of threads on battery life you can look at. Also it may be that your battery is worn out and you need a new one.

You mention some problem about permissions as root? You're not very clear on your exact problem, but it may be a corrupted MyDocs, in any case it won't hurt to follow these steps
Code:
root
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
dosfsck -afw /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1
to fix any filesystem problems on MyDocs.

Stuff not showing in the media player, that is likely to be a tracker problem, run "tracker-processes -r" to delete the tracker databases and restart tracker, in about 5 minute (maybe longer if you have a lot of files) your media files should have been reindexed and will show up again.

But if you really aren't happy with your N900 then sell it and get something you will be happy with.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I doubt you can have such issues with pr 1.3 and no devel apps..

and seriously flashing takes 15 min of active time plus 1h of automatic installs, not really the end of the world..

Last edited by erendorn; 2011-04-15 at 21:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
You can get decent battery life from the N900 so long as you don't run anything that stops the processor going into its low power sleep mode, you want to use powertop to look into this rather than top, but I won't help you with this, if you want to sort it out there are plenty of threads on battery life you can look at. Also it may be that your battery is worn out and you need a new one.

You mention some problem about permissions as root? You're not very clear on your exact problem, but it may be a corrupted MyDocs, in any case it won't hurt to follow these steps
Code:
root
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
dosfsck -afw /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1
to fix any filesystem problems on MyDocs.

Stuff not showing in the media player, that is likely to be a tracker problem, run "tracker-processes -r" to delete the tracker databases and restart tracker, in about 5 minute (maybe longer if you have a lot of files) your media files should have been reindexed and will show up again.

But if you really aren't happy with your N900 then sell it and get something you will be happy with.
finally someone whos not a ####MODERATOR-EDIT#### it did'nt help im still restricted even under sudo gain root I swear some of you act like i'm bashing their mother the reason im so mad is because im on the road and it seems like the only solution is to reflash the phone

Last edited by chemist; 2011-04-18 at 13:34. Reason: language

Well, maybe you should have made your original post look like a request for help, rather than a rant and an invitation for our anti-troll replies.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by kemar7856 View Post
finally someone whos not a g@y fanboy it did'nt help im still restricted even under sudo gain root I swear some of you act like i'm bashing their mother the reason im so mad is because im on the road and it seems like the only solution is to reflash the phone
If you want help, you need to give more detail on what you are doing and the exact error messages you get.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
If you want help, you need to give more detail on what you are doing and the exact error messages you get.
ok the problem is that none of my media will display on the phone and in application manager I get an operation error I learnt this is caused because rootif is full however every attempt free space in the root has failed and I dont have a USB cable to flash the phone.

1.the catalogs are all missing
2.tried 1.sudo gainroot
rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0003
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get update
3.I cant use apt-get update because tells me to use dpkg --configure a but it tells me file is unable to open/create data lockfile
4.df -h / is blankbefore it would tell me the data
5.apt-get clean
apt-get autoremove
dpkg -l|grep ^rc
dpkg --purge foo bar
none of these helped
6I tried tracker-processes--hard-reset
/etc/osso-af-init/tracker.sh start
told me 151 pids...?
6.then I tried tracker-processes -R
7./etc/osso-af-init/tracker.sh start
tracker failed

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
@Kemar7856 - I know you say you are on the road, but if you get a chance, i'm sure a re-flash will fix your problems.

Originally Posted by kemar7856 View Post
i'm not a power user I use it mostly for the emulators
sounds like you should ditch this awful n900 and get yourself an android. It has all the emulators too.

Tags
battery drain, battery life, repositories, root space