Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
That guy man, every time he opens his mouth he pisses me off. Making excuses for his failure. Why didn't he mention Nokia numbers from a year ago and how much his strategy helped, why the f*** is he proudly announcing 1M devices does he not remember how much the N8 only sold? Seriously if they don't send him home by the end of Q2 2012 than Nokia has been taken over by MS.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
...At least HP did it and got rid of the ex-SAP/SaaS-focused numbnut of an CEO that their former one was. Why not, NOKIA?
I think it's too late now. After the huge damage done to Nokia, he hasn't been replaced. I don't think he will be replaced.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ecuador
Originally Posted by _David_ View Post
Long article by Tomi Ahonen panning Nokia and WP. His intro doesn't really do it justice:
http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...oss-plane.html

Sorry if you've seen it already.
A Noble really interesting article, well-justified, with real data.
Definitely something happens to Nokia....

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
I bet Elop's minions are telling him, "You should see what they're saying on maemo.org, sir. Lots of I-told-you-so comments regarding the N9 outselling the Lumia."

Elop's reaction, like the EPA douche in Ghostbusters: "Shut it down! Shut them all down!!"

In that rambling Elop monologue, I do love the bit which refers to "...weak-on-weak improvement in Lumia device activations..."

:-)

On a humorous take, in regards to topic title:

So if I were to become a Nokia salesman and then later had nothing but N9s in my "phones sold list" and zero Lumias, would I get some sort of penalty? I'd like to imagine what it might be, but I'd just leave that only to happen in my imaginations

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
It doesn't matter what Elop says in his politician's tone of voice, if the fact is that the N9 sold better than the Lumias so far, then all those millions of marketing dollars trying to promote the L800 and L710 were a shameful waste, when the N9's success was mainly down to the most effective and cheapest form of marketing in the world: Word of Mouth.

I splashed out $550 for mine. It's unsubsidized, not available in the stores, not even available from Nokia themselves. It wasn't subsidized with a network contract. But I got one, and why did I get it? Because I read dozens of reviews online, all of which said (apart from the whole missing apps thing) it was awesome, awesome and awesome. And now I have it, I know those reviewers were right. It is awesome.

My hope now is that after this 'phase' of needing to invent a "war of ecosystems" has passed by, Nokia can get back to doing what it did best: making quality hardware with original and innovative software. I have just that, sitting on my desk right now.

I've reflected with a combination of despair and dark humour on the events surrounding this ongoing train wreck. Surely this is a really simple situation? The Lumia has bombed, despite *massive* marketing spend. The N9, a highly differentiated device, admittedly with limitations - flies off the shelves with no effort at all despite no sales in key countries.

Simple:
1) Tell Microsoft that they, as the platform provider, have to up their game to make the platform competitive. Give it a proper web browser for starters, get it to map drives with PCs other than Windows, make the camera work as well as other phones - that sort of thing. Start finding out why people don't like WP7 (they don't - admit it) and act on that data.

2) Make as many N9 devices as possible and give the market a choice. UK, DE, US, and so on... Today, in many markets, the consumer is choosing between WP7/Android/iOS. Why not give them another option: WP7/N9/Android/iOS? Consumers are not stupid (which is arguably a fatal flaw in the "primary smartphone platform" argument). Put another way: sell the device that is selling naturally, and at high margin, and buy some time here.

Nokia's present attitude: "We're going to force feed you WP7 because that's what WE want to do."
Consumer's present attitude: "I'm committing >EUR600 on a device, I've looked carefully at Android, iOS and WP7, I can see what all of these do. I'll have that (non-WP7) version, thank you."

From a personal perspective, I can see that iOS has the top of the market: the mindshare, the premium segment, the margin. It's pretty capable - and potentially extensible to the mid-tier. Android has the spread-bet: it's capable, but a bit geeky and a bit clunky, and difficult to see differentiation across all those manufacturers. WP7 is the same-old, same-old, limited, Windows system. It can't compete with either iOS or Android. The N9 is quirky, different, cool, feelgood and a brilliant smartphone. It's already proven that as an underdog it beats WP7. With all of this experience now, it's clear that the N9 shames the Lumias.

Easy choice, Nokia. Kick Microsoft hard, and sell more N9s - both starting today. Keep the alternative phone line up and running - as there's no escape when you write the next burning platform memo.

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Time for this one again

The title should be Elop's reaction to Lumia being outsold by n9 ofc )

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
I'll just repost my Charlie Sheen theory of Nokia management from last October. Its getting more accurate day by day.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows