Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Hi there.
Greetings. Nice to meet you as well.

I'm not sure if you've used the appropriate analogy here, as AMD and Intel are literally oligopolies.
The analogy holds. Some people will never buy AMD because they're fully behind Intel. And vice versa. That kind of brand loyalty - be it Chevy versus Ford, Lamborghini vs. Ferrari, Coke vs. Pepsi, German beer vs. Belgium beer, Levi vs. Lee jeans... the list continues and you get what I mean.

People stand behind brands because of experience(s) and how positive or negative they were to them.

I said incorrect because his question is leading to the implication that bigger brand creating more positive images. In where I live majority believes that bigger brand cheat more. If we're all subjected to brand effect then why don't we all go for iPhone? It's made by the manufacturer with excellent track records, with products of high creativeness and has a charismatic leader.
I think he was stating that brand loyalty comes from positive experiences. Blind brand loyalty is lunacy.

Well, why do you have to ask when you know the answer better?
Because I'd love an honest answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mexico, Monterrey.
I like a lot my N900, but nokia has been doing a shitty job when it comes to support. I'm planning on changing on the Xperia Play (if available), or will wait for the Meego phones (not from Nokia).

With luck, Meego will have more applications and more support from different developers.

Last edited by mothmanex; 2011-02-08 at 02:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to mothmanex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Greetings. Nice to meet you as well.

The analogy holds. Some people will never buy AMD because they're fully behind Intel. And vice versa. That kind of brand loyalty - be it Chevy versus Ford, Lamborghini vs. Ferrari, Coke vs. Pepsi, German beer vs. Belgium beer, Levi vs. Lee jeans... the list continues and you get what I mean.

People stand behind brands because of experience(s) and how positive or negative they were to them.
If you add negative into your point then I must agree with you.

I think he was stating that brand loyalty comes from positive experiences. Blind brand loyalty is lunacy.

Because I'd love an honest answer.
I hope I'm not bored you with my personal experience, but since you ask...here I go

It's true that I chose N900 because I can hack with it, but it dosen't mean we couldn't hack WM/WP, Android or iOS. Android can be hacked easily but you still you feel like shackled. In fact you get most pleasurable experience hacking with WM(never use WP) but you feel dirty, so dirty that you want to reflash from time to time so as to make it clean again haha. I've very little experience hacking with iOS, just helping friends jailbreaking their iPhones, but hacking with iOS makes you feel like you're committing crimes, and in fact Apple threaten you from time to time you're not supposed to do so that bothered me.

Hacking in N900 is allowed, encouraged and systematic. You don't need to do it dirtily as you've guidelines to follow. You won't feel as guilty because no one would threaten you from time to time you're doing illegal things. You can give back to communities for what you've done and those who aren't into hacking could enjoy your work. I could go on but I think you need a rest after reading these.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-02-08 at 02:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hacking in N900 is allowed, encouraged and systematic.
I can understand and get behind that sentiment fully. Thank you for your honest answer.

I still found it odd that you thought Nokia made crappy phones (paraphrase) before though.

I can understand and get behind that sentiment fully. Thank you for your honest answer.

I still found it odd that you thought Nokia made crappy phones (paraphrase) before though.
Not really crap. I chose my words carefully when describing it : bloated (or over-rated. Their phones have much less features than their rivals nowaday), lousy (actually I mean the design...they don't seem to want to make good-looking phones after 6500), bulky (N900 is not the thickest phone they ever made ) and over-priced (Ok Apple's iPhone beat them fair-and-square in this so I think I should take it back )

Last edited by 9000; 2011-02-08 at 02:51.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
My personal thoughts...I think Nokia makes a lot of terribly ugly looking phones (recall the N-gage era), and once in a while, a few gorgeous (E65, N8, E7, C6-01) and unique phones (N900).

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Incorrect.

You.

In line. Actually beyond expectation. I always think Nokia made lousy phones until N900.

Bonus answer: you don't read what someone wrote before asking question do you?
Hmm, I think you missed the point of my post and you're warping reality to conform to your beliefs.

But that's ok.
(not my loss)

On topic: Nokia has been consistent in delivering durable and well designed phones during the candybar era. Their ui/ux had been top notch.

It's only if you learn of Nokia during the past 3-4 years that you would associate them with (declining) design and poor(er) UI/UX. This is in-line with their declining marketshare as well.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-02-08 at 04:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Hmm, I think you missed the point of my post and you're warping reality to conform to your beliefs.

But that's ok.
(not my loss)
I found it irony to receive such a statement from someone who always asks leading questions.

It's okay to discover someone who doesn't comform to your beliefs. That's reality. Get over with it.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
On topic: Nokia has been consistent in delivering durable and well designed phones during the candybar era. Their ui/ux had been top notch.

It's only if you learn of Nokia during the past 3-4 years that you would associate them with (declining) design and poor(er) UI/UX. This is in-line with their declining marketshare as well.
Not that I care Nokia's marketshare, did I?

(Hey I found your method to hide message sneaky but interesting. It was not until I reply would I figure it out. Thanks for the tips . ^^)

Last edited by 9000; 2011-02-08 at 04:44.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@9000: If you felt you were 'lead' somewhere, it may be because I've presented some facts and history in my post that supported what I was implying.

Nokia's declining marketshare represented public interest to Nokia's product (and brand), among the many options in the market.

Yep, that was the point of these texts.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I remember when the same things were said about me.

Big whoop. You wanna fight about it?
Yes, we admit he's even worse.

But he writes as if a community of coders came out of nowhere to rescue us. The fact is that the community was here way before the N900. Nokia knew that and so did we.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest