Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
The title says it all really, as Jobs likes to say..."This changes things!"

http://www.fastcompany.com/1687857/d...ash-on-iphones

The Following User Says Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:
"as the resulting apps do not download any code."

Nope. No flash.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Flash won't come. The main reason why iPhones don't have flash is because Jobs wants to charge people money for flash games they could play for free online.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Flash won't come. The main reason why iPhones don't have flash is because Jobs wants to charge people money for flash games they could play for free online.
You say that, but I'm convinced that Jobs is actually convinced that the user experience should be perfect, and lets face it, Flash kinda sucks. He won't tolerate that. I think it's actually good the iPhone doesn't have flash, because it's cutting down on Flash on the web. Nevertheless, I, being an Alpha Geek, am more than happy with a substandard experience that lets me do awesome stuff.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Unfortunately people's way of dealing with the iPhone's lack of flash is not to make functional noflash versions, but rather to make an iPhone app.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
You say that, but I'm convinced that Jobs is actually convinced that the user experience should be perfect, and lets face it, Flash kinda sucks. He won't tolerate that. I think it's actually good the iPhone doesn't have flash, because it's cutting down on Flash on the web. Nevertheless, I, being an Alpha Geek, am more than happy with a substandard experience that lets me do awesome stuff.
Flash DOES NOT SUCK!
Badly coded flash annoying banners/games/whatever suck, like they suck whatever programming language you can think of, IF the developers suck.

The Unreal engine is awesome right? How come there's so many games using it that suck?

So remember, when you see something made in Flash that sucks, the developer sucks not Flash.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
Unfortunately people's way of dealing with the iPhone's lack of flash is not to make functional noflash versions, but rather to make an iPhone app.
That's Steve Jobs goal.
Make iPhone apps that are nothing more than a dumbed down version of a webpage / flash app. And you have to pay him for it.
Not something that is able to run and look EXACTLY THE SAME on any device.

The Following User Says Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
"as the resulting apps do not download any code."

Nope. No flash.
Compiled apps for the Apple iPhone from within Flash CS5 - Adobe did not remove that functionality - does not download any code by itself normally. It is self-contained.

Integration into OpenFeint doesn't even change that. So yeah. Flash is a go. So is Unity3D.

This is a good thing; odd because they reversed their own, idiotic changes. But a good thing nonetheless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Apple got scared that Android will pass them by and scoop their developers. The number of "apps" has been iOS selling point for too long to dismiss easily, that's why Jobs cannot afford to lose any developers due to stupid restrictions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
I think our friend Jobs is showing again how marketing savvy he is. He continues to keep Apple in the Media's eye. I can't help but think this is all part of his strategy. He rarely makes a miss-step (cough, antenna, cough) and when he does his frustration is quite evident.