Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
They even set minimum specs including no external storage and you aren't allowed to load software from anywhere but their store. So awesome, I love it when they insist on claiming ownership over devices I buy.
Honestly, I really don't think that storage will be a problem. There is a min of 8GB of storage, but I think that will be for the lower end devices. The flagship phones will have 16 Gigs or more for sure. And that's good enough for most.

But it's really not the hardware that I care about. I learned that after owning the N900. The hardware could be great (which it is with the N900), but if I get frustrated every time I pick up the device to do simple things, or if I HAVE to hack the phone just to get it to work properly, then it's not a good product. As for not allowing other software. Big whoop. I'm sure someone will hack WP7. And make everyone happy.

I know what you're gonna say. "You can do so many more things with the N900. You can remotely control the Space Shuttle Atlantis." Well that would be a great BONUS if I could just get it to do the simple stuff I need it to do on a daily basis.

So I learned my lesson. From here on out, the first thing i'm gonna look at is the OS, and then comes the hardware considerations.

I'm growing wiser with each passing day...

You are contradicting yourself:

First you say you need a device that you dont want to hack to do simple things for you. Then you say someone will hack WP7 phones and make Everybody happy.

Make up your mind. And besides, why are you even here if you dislike n900 so much. Are you a masochist?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
Maybe they are trying to get rid of N900's ?
We have a winner. Nokia (at least North America, anyways) is bleeding this device out. It did not sell well in the US, due to poor marketing and app / OS support.

Nokia made little effort with Maemo 5 and rely too much on the graces of home devs. Nokia did say the N900 was a stepping stone- just not how short the step was.

added:

Unless Meego and the next Nokia device is some amazing device with both great hardware and software support (apps, etc), I will not buy another Nokia device. Luv the N900 for media and MAME, but as a phone is it very weak to my Incredible. Heck, the G1 was a better smartphone, IMO.

Then again, I am with Verizon now, so may be be default.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-06-25 at 17:00.

I think the problem is the Maemo team said this is step 4 out of 5. A stepping stone to what's suppose to be consumer ready.

Marketing and the rest of Nokia responsible for distribution heard: "it's close enough (1/5th of a step away!) to consumer ready to sell"

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by techngro View Post
I am not surprised, but I am a little disappointed. I was really hoping that the price of the N900 would stay around at least 400 until the fall.
I've never understood this concept. When I buy anything, be it a candy bar, a phone, or a car, I don't expect the value to hold or go up. You purchase something to use it, and that use, from the instant you drive it off the lot or walk it out of the store, devalues the item. If something holds or increases it's value, it's usually a temporary anomaly that's not sustainable long term. (Lots of US home owners are discovering this just now...)

The one exception is if you pay money to maintain it and/or repair it, it may retain it's initial value. (That's why homes and classic cars can seem to retain their value, for example.) But when you tally the purchase cost and maintenance costs, you still won't be able to sell it for enough to get your total investment back.

Why would you expect a used device to have any value after months or years of use? I wouldn't expect a new device in a box on a shelf to hold it's value at that level, yet alone a used one. Doubly so for a tech device, with the progress we're seeing in that arena right now.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I've never understood this concept. When I buy anything, be it a candy bar, a phone, or a car, I don't expect the value to hold or go up. You purchase something to use it, and that use, from the instant you drive it off the lot or walk it out of the store, devalues the item. If something holds or increases it's value, it's usually a temporary anomaly that's not sustainable long term. (Lots of US home owners are discovering this just now...)

The one exception is if you pay money to maintain it and/or repair it, it may retain it's initial value. (That's why homes and classic cars can seem to retain their value, for example.) But when you tally the purchase cost and maintenance costs, you still won't be able to sell it for enough to get your total investment back.

Why would you expect a used device to have any value after months or years of use? I wouldn't expect a new device in a box on a shelf to hold it's value at that level, yet alone a used one. Doubly so for a tech device, with the progress we're seeing in that arena right now.
Great perspective, though the presumption is this device was up to par when launched and how it was marketed.

Nokia pushed the heck out the N900 being a computer in the pocket and also the Flash in the browser. It is failing at both in less than one year of life, since neither will be supported much if at all. Apps are slow to none, were it not for the few we get from home devs and the Flash issue is best laid to rest.

the price has been dropping for 2 weeks there probably trying to clear them out for there meego stock then dc it NLT

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Great perspective, though the presumption is this device was up to par when launched and how it was marketed.
I think it was up to par, as advertised. It's done everything it said it could do on the box and in the manual when I got it. (In fact, it can do more now, which is quite nice.) There were a few minor bugs, but most of them have been fixed, and none were show stoppers.

Nokia pushed the heck out the N900 being a computer in the pocket and also the Flash in the browser. It is failing at both in less than one year of life,
I still have a computer in my pocket, and Flash in my browser. How exactly is it failing at both? They never promised it would dynamically keep up with the computer market as devices got faster... nothing does. And they never promised it would have eternal software updates either, though they've had 4 in under 8 months, which I think is outstanding. Again though, it's still doing what it said it would...

Apps are slow to none, were it not for the few we get from home devs and the Flash issue is best laid to rest.
The few we get from home devs? There are lots of apps out there, tons. Considering most Java/J2ME apps also work now (thanks to two of those "few home dev apps") the base is pretty large. Larger than most older phones that had native J2ME support.

That's one upside of having a pessimistic view of things. If things do improve or get better, even slightly, it's a pleasant surprise. If not, then you were right to be pessimistic. Having an optimistic view is great in the beginning, but you can really only go down-hill from there.

I think most of the problem here is that people had high expectations based on random tech-blog chatter. The device is not going to float out of your pocket and become a sentient companion, handling all your social and networking needs. It does what it does, and it's still doing it pretty well. If you expect miracles out of anything, you're going to be sorely disappointed most of your life.