Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
More info here:

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2012/09/11/...beta-released/

seems like they are planing to target more platforms in the future wish is great

Also beta of Qt5:

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2012/08/30/qt-5-beta-is-here/

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-09-12 at 20:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I think it's a very good move, I don't have time to try yet, but I'll definitely use Qt5 and creator 2.6 as soon as I can.

Looks like they also added in QNX support (I don't really care about Android support, though that is cool too). So with supporting Android and QNX out of the box, the only two 'platforms' out there that aren't handled would be iOS and Windows Phone.

Is QtCreator also going to support the new Jolla phones?

Good to see though that these additions are being made, would Nokia have done this, or was it in the works for a long time?

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Last edited by slaapliedje; 2012-09-12 at 12:43. Reason: Removed off-topic Anti-Apple Ranting.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Should be noted that on the other side, Symbian support is dropped.
Support for mer based OS in general should not be difficult.

I'm glad Qt is in Digia's hands now and they are serious about cross-platform support. Windows Phone and iOS may follow.

As someone who just used Qt Creator to help develop my first app I must say I am super excited about Android support.

Not because I like Android, but because more wide-spread support for Qt could mean many more companies and individuals will be writing programs that could easily be deployed to us as well. In the future we may not be left wishing someone cared about our phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to computerinfo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post

Good to see though that these additions are being made, would Nokia have done this, or was it in the works for a long time?

slaapliedje
Following the necessitas lists, the nescessitas developers planned to merge their fork of QtCreator with the upstream version for quite a long time, but ist was difficult and is still: Ray Donnelly (one of the necessitas developers) recommends not use the beta for android development, because it has some drawbacks their own version has not (this is in comment 29 and 33). So it seems ist has more to do with the especialness of Android than Nokia's influence that it didn't happen earlier.

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Looks like they also added in QNX support (I don't really care about Android support, though that is cool too). So with supporting Android and QNX out of the box, the only two 'platforms' out there that aren't handled would be iOS and Windows Phone.

Is QtCreator also going to support the new Jolla phones?

slaapliedje
I guess the first thing is to make sure QtCreator support Nemomobile. Not much tweeking making that go so yes I am mostly sure Jolla will be supported.

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Should be noted that on the other side, Symbian support is dropped.
Support for mer based OS in general should not be difficult.
It should be noted symbian was dropped cause of lack of maintainers. I guess its up to the symbian community make it work cause of Nokias latest announcements...