Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
Okay, so:
1. You're being offensive, now rude content is found just in your first few posts, for absolutely no reason,
2. Let's see...following a 2 years old video for installing an old NITDroid 2.2 release, or installing the latest release using the latest auto-installer? You went with the latter option.
3. We might be interested on the way you "made" it different,
4. My name is not "guy", and nobody will look forward to helping you now that you think people's helping posts are ****.

Such a beautiful way to start your life here on TMO eh?
i m mad because it isn t working
i apologize for that
i m sorry, but i want it to be running on my phone
if you still want to help me feel free to help me

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Guys, chill.

I think this is just a misunderstanding due to the limitations of written and non face-to-face communication. I don't think he was complaining (at least I thought he wasn't). He was just saying that, after following steps from a YouTube video (not sure if it was mine, I can't check right now) he was unable to load/boot NITDroid. He made mention of a black screen with "white pinnacle" at the top (?) left side....giving me the feeling that he was using the "old" or manual steps for installation. So I suggested he try the Autoinstaller since at this time, it's all good and working and convenient too.

However his problem was that he is having difficulties uninstalling given that he used (or may have used) the old/manual steps, perhaps because he thinks that the automated Uninstaller won't work if NITDroid was installed manually.

To be fair with him, he didn't say that he is certain that the automated uninstaller will not work (he just said he "thinks" it won't work). I am assuming he's a very new member of our community, having only posted less than 5 times, so let's welcome him and guide him (initially, at least) to make it an enjoyable experience and on our part, have an additional community member.

@ichunddu: we will guide you but only at the start. There is a wealth of information here that may or may not be exciting...it depends on your level of interest and willingness to learn. I remember myself being like you when I started. I don't have technical knowledge/background but this N900 got me so interested, to the point that I am now studying/learning how to program (self-study through this community forum and some reading materials/activities over the Internet). And to return/take forward all the things I have learned from the community, I strive to write documentation or even record videos of whatever is already written, in the hopes of encouraging others and see the N900 as "not-just-another-geek-device"...that you don't have to be one, to enjoy it.

Also, to give a bit of "friendly" reprimand (I know, and I'm sorry in advance)...this is a community where most of the successes shared are "charity work", an act of volunteerism. Ammyt is just one of the many people here who have made great contributions to the community, so let's be nice a little, alright? These people have extended their time and efforts (away from what they are supposed to do with their normal lives), to keep making the N900 a better device than it was yesterday. Initially, we will guide you but again, you have to start learning on your own, be brave in taking small but calculated risks (i.e. flashing and stuff), and being polite/nice to people too.

Now if you are willing: if everything is starting to get confusing, take that small but educated/calculated risk by re-flashing your N900, install NITDroid via the Autoinstaller (and even try to uninstall it via the automated uninstaller if you wish). Just so you can learn and appreciate the efforts put in by the community. Or even before doing that, try either using the automated Uninstaller...or even try "Method 2" of uninstallation. It's all about learning and appreciating the things learned. Peace, everyone.

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2012-04-24 at 19:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
thank you that you understand me
the guy above was correct, i should have tried to uninstall it with the deb
it worked
so after that i installed it with the deb
worked as well

so when i start my mobile i have 4 options
1. maemo normal
2. nitroid the version i installed the latest
3. nitroid with the issue i mentioned before
4. maemo kernel

i tried number 2, then i had that guru thing
i remember i had to do step number 11
http://wiki.maemo.org/Nitdroid_easy_...lling_Nitdroid
this step 11 i mean
so i installed nano
then i entered the code
then it opened a file but there was nothing
i don t know where i can edit it now, because everything was white
what now?

thank you topet for your good post, even though i don t think i have to flash

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by ichunddu9 View Post
thank you that you understand me
the guy above was correct, i should have tried to uninstall it with the deb
it worked
so after that i installed it with the deb
worked as well

so when i start my mobile i have 4 options
1. maemo normal
2. nitroid the version i installed the latest
3. nitroid with the issue i mentioned before
4. maemo kernel

i tried number 2, then i had that guru thing
i remember i had to do step number 11
http://wiki.maemo.org/Nitdroid_easy_...lling_Nitdroid
this step 11 i mean
so i installed nano
then i entered the code
then it opened a file but there was nothing
i don t know where i can edit it now, because everything was white
what now?

thank you topet for your good post, even though i don t think i have to flash
The issue you described is the reason why I recommend a re-flash (at least for starters), unless you want to "roll up your sleeves and get dirty", so to speak. Re-flashing helps to ensure that you are "starting from a clean sheet of paper" and hence will help ensure a methodical approach to learning how to have NITDroid installed on your N900. I've had my share of the Guru Meditation error and with patience and experimentation and reading the threads here, was able to identify and understand (a) what causes it and (b) how to solve. A and B are very important, rather than just blindly following instructions that we don't understand. Because if so, there is no learning...only memorization.

EDIT: the "Guru Meditation" error is a common issue encountered by those new to those attempting to install NITDroid (with the old/manual steps) and forgetting a very important step. I'm not sure if re-installing with the Autoinstaller on top of an existing/prior manual installation solves it.

Note that the Autoinstaller is a script (i.e. a pre-progammed set of steps that will be done one after the other automatically). The Autoinstaller attempts to install specific versions of the NITDroid kernel and Image, so you might end up with two versions of NITDroid installed, which is "not a clean piece of paper" since I don't know if you have used the same versions of the NITDroid kernel that would also have been done by the Autoinstaller (sorry I'm not technical enough, I can only explain in layman's terms).

If you want to go the route of "rolling up sleeves and going dirty"...then I will no longer give specific steps for this will result to spoon-feeding. Now will be the time to visit the Grand NITDroid Thread to read and learn, because the "Guru Meditation" issue, as mentioned, was a common one encountered with the manual method of installation and hence, was encountered by many and they have posted to that thread already.

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2012-04-24 at 20:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
i m also a person that searches for the solution
i found out that the sd card caused the guru problem
so i reinstalled without the sd card
the guru issue is still there
so i tried the fix from the wiki (step11), i installed nano
then i used the codes from there
then a new tab opened, but i just saw white and some commands on the bottom which i can t use
how can i fix it when i open that file and don t see anything?
how can i fix the guru thing?
yes i searched for myself for 3 hours now

do you have an idea?
thx

Last edited by ichunddu9; 2012-04-25 at 14:14.