Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
What pisses me off is that we don't even get security updates to software.

[...]

I'm going to contact my lawyer about this btw.
I contacted a lawyer. He found it an interesting case, and is looking into it according to Dutch and EU jurisdiction. He may blog about the question in general (not specific case).

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
They called Maemo 2.0 OS2006.

There is no Maemo 6.0
Nokia is working on an internal Maemo which will form the basis of the first Meego release for N9.
So I'm not sure how people can characterise Maemo as dead.....

The 1st major release of Meego on Nokia phones will basically be an improved Maemo w/a compatibility layer for Meego.
Devices after the N9 will be based entirely on Meego-Core-xx (Vanilla Meego)...

Last edited by jalyst; 2010-09-20 at 06:42.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Nokia is working on an internal Maemo which will form the basis of the first Meego release for N9.
So I'm not sure how people can characterise Maemo as dead.....
Well, we knew already about Harmattan-MeeGo. If you want to call that PR 2.0 / Maemo 6 you can, but at the end of the day for the N900 users its still useless because community-Harmattan-MeeGo for the N900 will be stripped down so no phone, no Skype, no Flash. Could it be retrofitted? Maybe, but I guess it all depends on who sticks around until then. If Nokia decides to spend the effort to get PR 2.0 on the N900 I'd be ecstatic. Not holding my breath though. They've made no indication that that will happen.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Well, we knew already about Harmattan-MeeGo. If you want to call that PR 2.0 / Maemo 6 you can, but at the end of the day for the N900 users its still useless because community-Harmattan-MeeGo for the N900 will be stripped down so no phone, no Skype, no Flash.
MeeGo (not -Harmattan) is the "stripped down" one, but even so, the Handset UX does still include a phone application, a SMS application, and all those basics. It does not include an Adobe Flash plug-in or Skype as they aren't open souce, but if Adobe or Skype make MeeGo ARMEL installers available, their software will run.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
MeeGo (not -Harmattan) is the "stripped down" one, but even so, the Handset UX does still include a phone application, a SMS application, and all those basics. It does not include an Adobe Flash plug-in or Skype as they aren't open souce, but if Adobe or Skype make MeeGo ARMEL installers available, their software will run.
Are referring to the community edition which we supposedly will be able to run on the N900? I thought the Handset UX was closed source. If not, that's great but I'm still not going to believe it until I see it. Everything that I've heard so far indicates that the community edition of MeeGo on the N900 will not be usable for regular users.

Are referring to the community edition which we supposedly will be able to run on the N900? I thought the Handset UX was closed source. If not, that's great but I'm still not going to believe it until I see it. Everything that I've heard so far indicates that the community edition of MeeGo on the N900 will not be usable for regular users.
Calls in NITDroid are working (the actual sound in the call is being worked on) and I believe a member on the MeeGo forum (he is also a member here) made calls on MeeGo for N900.

Are referring to the community edition which we supposedly will be able to run on the N900?
He's referring to the MeeGo N900 reference implementation.

I thought the Handset UX was closed source.
There is nothing closed source about MeeGo. What few closed bits there are lie outside MeeGo as hardware support and are readily available to anyone that owns an N900.

Everything that I've heard so far indicates that the reference implementation of MeeGo on the N900 will not be usable for regular users.
This could, of course, be improved to the point that it would be usable by most people. Unlike Maemo there are no closed bits central to the OS and reference UIs that preclude community contributions.

Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
Calls in NITDroid are working (the actual sound in the call is being worked on) and I believe a member on the MeeGo forum (he is also a member here) made calls on MeeGo for N900.
Stskeeps did post about having made a complete phone call using MeeGo on the N900, which is a great step.

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-09-20 at 19:26.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Philadelphia
It was made clear that the Harmattan "Hackers Edition"/community edition would have the closed bits working and included. Meaning Skype, Flash 10.1, Maps, etc etc, all working. With all the tmo FUD threads, it isn't hard to miss this, so I won't blame you all =P

Still, that won't be available until the Harmattan SDK beta releases, so MeeGo handset reference UX should get our focus.

Originally Posted by flailingmonkey View Post
It was made clear that the Harmattan "Hackers Edition"/community edition would have the closed bits working and included. Meaning Skype, Flash 10.1, Maps, etc etc, all working. With all the tmo FUD threads, it isn't hard to miss this, so I won't blame you all =P

Still, that won't be available until the Harmattan SDK beta releases, so MeeGo handset reference UX should get our focus.
So there is hope that we'll get Flash 10.1 on the N900? :-)

Last edited by geohsia; 2010-09-20 at 20:42.

So there is hope that we'll get Flash 10.1 on the N900? :-)
Maybe "unofficially," but considering how Adobe behaves towards mobile devices I wouldn't count on it.

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update