Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Just my $.02,

I have not (so far!) had any problems. I have had my N800 for about 10 days. As soon as I got it, I flashed the July 7 release. I purchased 2 Kingston 4GB SDHC cards when I got the N800. Both are installed. I have used the USB to copy a couple of CD's worth of MP3's as well as some videos, to the External MMC. I have Maemo Mapper configured to save maps to the internal MMC.

Hopefully, I have not jinxed myself by writing this...

I finally received a new 8gb A-DATA SD yesterday. I am now using it in internal SD slot. We'll see... so far so good.
Oh, and I had SDHC kernel update installed as well.

I bought the N800 Tuesday. Spent most of the night trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware running unutu linux on my mac. Couldn't do it. Found the directions to use a 770 software to upgrade, and it upgraded. Now the screen is snowy/full of lines when I turn on the N800 or just wake it up. It takes a good 15-30 seconds to clear. Any suggestions?

p.s. Normally I do use pronouns.

oops. wrong spot. sigh.

Originally Posted by distguitar View Post
I finally received a new 8gb A-DATA SD yesterday. I am now using it in internal SD slot. We'll see... so far so good.
Oh, and I had SDHC kernel update installed as well.
I bought the same card. I have only had it a few days, but no problems so far. I'm using the latest official OS on my N800.

I copied 13 full-length movies to the card over USB (very slow). I plan on using the 8GB card in the external slot for movies and MP3s. I have a SanDisk 1GB in the internal slot for ebooks and documents. I may get another 8GB card later.

update from me..

I have fixed all 3 of my 'broken' SD cards!

I tried formatting one of them in the File manager on the N800 and 2 seconds later I have my full 2GB back on the card!! I always tried to fix them in my PC card reader previously.
All 3 were fixed this way for me.
I am loading them up with movies etc. now and will see how long they last...

This made me wonder if all SD cards should be formatted in the N800 before use?
Or if just using them was OK to do.

Alvin,

Glad to hear you were able to fix yours. My problem is that file manager has my cards greyed out so they can't even be adressed.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Reno, Nevada
After messing up a couple of mem cards formatting them on a PC and wrecking them, I found an article that said the format is wrong for them so I reformatted them in my MP4 player and that fixed the prob. So... Dont format mem on your pc unless you like problems...

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Couple of questions for distguitar and jbenny -
What model/class of A-data card did you purchase? I see two 8GB A-data cards on Newegg (one Class 2 and one Class 6) and would like to purchase the same model you guys are using. Are these cards still running reliably for you?
I just ordered an N800 last week and after all the research I did on it this is the first I've heard of this issue. I must admit it makes me a bit nervous and I'd like to do whatever I can preemptively to help avoid the possibility of suffering the same fate.

Originally Posted by jeep99 View Post
Alvin,

Glad to hear you were able to fix yours. My problem is that file manager has my cards greyed out so they can't even be adressed.
mine was grayed out too.

Just go to the File Manager menu And select the Memory card option

There you can select Internal or Removable and then select Format