I have just tested the iphone. Why on earth should I not prefer iPhone over n800? (I do own an n800)

It's much faster (700mhz - feels 5 times faster), much better UI, smaller, incl GSM, have all the features as n800, the iPhone can perform all what the n800 can do...

1) Doesn't support flash
2) no expansion memory slot
3) keyboard is difficult to use
4) Need to send your phone away for a battery change
5) No comparison in screen size or resolution ( Nokia blows apple out of the park)

I am a newbie to linux and was having the same debate as you however after owning a Nokia N810 for a little less then a week I am in love with this thing. As far as gps, you can always get a bluetooth puck like freedom offers or Nokia sells the GPS receiver. My friend just returned his touch and bought an N810 after showing him mine . Keep in mind the iphone is a phone where the tablet is a pintsized PC! Hope this helps!

Brian

Originally Posted by speedtriple View Post
I have just tested the iphone. Why on earth should I not prefer iPhone over n800? (I do own an n800)

It's much faster (700mhz - feels 5 times faster), much better UI, smaller, incl GSM, have all the features as n800, the iPhone can perform all what the n800 can do...

Had you spent a minute doing a search instead of wetting yourself in excitement, you would have discovered that this has been discussed to death already. There was no need to start yet another thread on the subject.

R.
==

I don't know you, so I have no idea why you shouldn't prefer the iPhone

I wanted a device with a higher resolution display (love crisp, itty bitty fonts, hate zooming), expandable memory, Linux, USB, real third party support, etc. I don't care about cellular, certainly don't want to be tied to any cellular contract for two years, and the $200 N800 price tag is nice, too.

For me the question is the opposite, but I can understand why others would want one, and I'd also be more than happy to take one as a gift

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Well... Don't know you but I use/need things that iPhone can not:
- Use Gizmo Project (SIP) account to make VoIP calls when overseas
- Use it as GPS device (I bought external Bluetooth GPS receiver for that purpose) Works great with free MaemoMapper!
- Transfer/save/copy files easy with removable SD cards (and external USB reader makes this even more flexible.)
- Upgradeable up to 32GB of memory as of today (2x 16GB SDHC cards are available) At the moment I use sinle 8GB card.
- Play most format movies using Mplayer, without converting first to some other format.
- Don't need to use iTunes bloatware (over 50MB!!! ) to "sync" my N800.
- Play stream radio stations (Shoutcast... iPhone may work on this too?)
- Connect my digicam and camcorder directly to N800 using N800's USB host mode.
- Do video calling to home (using Gizmo) when travelling overseas.
- Skype, though I do not use it that much.
- I can purhcase extra batteries to swap if I need extended use time.

Just something to start...

I have and like both, I just wish there was a way to pair them. It would be a super power.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by mctablet View Post
I have and like both, I just wish there was a way to pair them. It would be a super power.
Oh ... that's right... iPhones bluetooth support is severely crippled...

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
.... have all the features as n800, the iPhone can perform all what the n800 can do...
I LOVE broad statements, especially when they're wrong. How else can forums gather thousands of useless posts!

Speedtriple I'll start you out with the three most obvious hardware differences:

480x320 screen vs. 800x480 screen
No removeable storage vs. 2 SD card slots
Apple replaceable battery ($79) vs. user replaceable battery

If you still think they have exactly same features and the iPhone can "perform all what the n800 can do", then you are the customer Apple is looking for

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
No the iphone cannot play shoutcast streams out of the box. but there may be apps out there. i am not sure. i tried to play shoutcast radio streams on the touch in the apple store but could not.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
different strokes for different folks