Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
so is this meant that there won't be any maemo6 device? and what would happen to n900's future? will meego be available to it?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
So... is it going to be Debian or Fedora based?

i think .rpm came from RedHat LINUX. may be red hat base? i am really confuse with this marketing scheme

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
i think .rpm came from RedHat LINUX. may be red hat base? i am really confuse with this marketing scheme
Packaging system is not that important. It was several years ago...
But I'm asking about the base system.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
From what I've seen and read since yesterday, whole MeeGo thing is mostly just about re-branding of similar Linux platforms into one (plus just a few technical differences, but tbh we are not switching from Linux to - say - Windows or MacOS here). However community might feel disappointed about ditching beloved Maemo brand, we can't forget one thing: Nokia is a commercial business designed to generate profit and find new ways of finding itself in current market situation (same applies to Intel, really), whether we all - community members - like it or not. These are business decisions made somewhere high over our heads and we have not much else left than just accept it (or not).

However, from what Quim is saying, I can see that despite ditching a brand, they certainly do not intend to ditch community, but invite us all to this new MeeGo platform, where we could all bring our values from Maemo. And I think this is great! I definitely can't think of any example of other company/plaftorm/etc. that would have similar approach to its users.

I am not trying to justify anyone or anything, in fact I was slightly disappointed at first too, but I'm just trying to think about both sides of the stick here, really. However, what I can certainly see here is Quim's great effort to make that re-branding as painless for community as possible, so many kudos for him.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
To answer my question from the MeeGo FAQ:
Is MeeGo based on another distribution (like Fedora or Debian)?
No. Meego is its own independent distribution, run as an open source project. In that sense you can consider MeeGo an upstream distribution, that itself pulls from the upstream of the various open source projects it is based on.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Quim you forgot to address all the incumbent changes to the community.
No, I didn't forget.

One thread for one topic and everybody will be able to follow and contribute much better to the topics that interest to them more. There is currently a lot of overlapping discussion happening in several places. The best way to move forward is to discuss every topic in the place and context that it corresponds.

This thread is about branding. "Maemo" brand won't be used beyond "Maemo 5" by Nokia. MeeGo is the new brand and "Harmattan" is the right denomination (as it already was) for the minority of people caring about the platform specifics.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
So... is it going to be Debian or Fedora based?
Moblin is not Fedora based so this question does not make sense.

It will use RPM instead of .deb if that was your underlying question. See http://meego.com/about/faq

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Moblin is not Fedora based so this question does not make sense.

It will use RPM instead of .deb if that was your underlying question. See http://meego.com/about/faq
I know that it'll use rpm. Quim even said it here. He didn't say why the change is necessary, probably because Intel insists on the rpm's licence tag.

Moblin 2.0 is Fedora based. It was based on Ubuntu before that.
Maemo is Debian based.

So... what base standards will MeeGo use?

so meego.org instead of maemo.org? Makes sense, although the name and logo are just so bog-standard..

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
so meego.org instead of maemo.org? Makes sense, although the name and logo are just so bog-standard..
meego.com actually, as meego.org is already registered to someone in China.

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding