Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Thank you Rob, for all the efforts you have made during the last Council period. I hope you can be part of the new Council as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Thank you Rob, for all the efforts you have made during the last Council period. I hope you can be part of the new Council as well.
yep. In reality Rob has been in a really awkward position since he has been the only active council member for quite some time now. As I see it, it takes real dedication to run again. Let's hope we'll see a more active council this time around.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
To be honest, arguments that someone is "less" <whatever> cause there was no voting, when she/he become a Council member, is pure sophism. First of all, it's not candidate fault, that she/he was only one/amonsgt few willing to volunteer.

Second - if someone thing it's bad to not have votes, why not to propose change, that require votes every time? For now, we have some rules, and bi****ng about them being respected is out of line.

Third, it was used mainly by people, who were not able to find better "arguments" against meritum stated by SD69 - AFAIK, this infamous practice was started by former Nokia contact with Community (Marias), which makes me even more sad that it ever happened.

Anyway, it's all the past - pity, that it touched person so active in volunteering for Community - I hope that we're not to hear anything like that in future Also, I'm pretty sure, that this time we will have votes, and number of them dedicated to SD69 will be true overkill

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
A few people criticized some of my efforts and pointed out that there was no vote either time I became a council member. I know, silly, but there it is and I appreciate those who support(ed) my efforts. Getting consensus in maemo is hard enough as it is so I'd like to be free of that particular thing.

Of course, the things you mention are more important. I'll accept my nomination with thanks and post a formal statement on the wiki page in a few days.
Rob,

with power / authority comes dissension.
autocrats deal with it ruthlessly (work camps and the like) and the members of the Council... need thick skin
just because some didn't agree with the direction the community was going (or wasn't going ) there are also a lot of trolls; most of the time their posts are obvious, sometimes more subtle, making you doubt of yourself or @ least of your actions.

however, you kept Maemo alive with your sheer will and made sure that the community continues to exist towards NOKIA
for that alone, you deserve the gratitude of the community
thanks!

i appreciate that after quite some time you feel like passing over the scepter.
i assume you would still remain in the community? maybe the new Council could ask for your advice (possibly by e-mail rather then on TMO) if they get confronted with a problem they can't handle?

the decision is yours, but either way the Community owes you!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Qgil stated clearly that any more code will not be opened. And maybe there is no need to. After the time it will take either to raise the funds and close a deal with Nokia (assuming that is ever possible) or to reverse engineer the drivers for the N900, most of the N900's will be dead and the device itself will be pretty much obsolete. So we might just as well code new drivers for a device of our choice. What's the most open device out there? How much blobs can we scavenge from the android kernel to work unmodified?

Other than drivers do we really need anything else opensourced to go along? Of course the more code is open the better, but the most valuable of programs are open or we have nice open alternatives, the drivers are at least redistributable so the things that remain closed are device specific like mce etc. They won't do us any good in the long term anyway...

We do have a mail client, application manager, browser, telepathy, phone client (from meego), camera app, text editor, office suite, file manager media player.
We are missing a calendar (maybe free, alternatives exist, it's just a calendar after all) messaging application, gallery and all those IIRC exist on meego, so it's a matter of porting.

So much for the user applications.

Now for the core, we lack drivers, mce, battery management and more. But I don't know how much effort we should put in those as they may be have to be developed again if we ever move to a new device (in some time it has to happen)
This is I believe misunderstanding when it comes to view on source. Open-source projects do not die. Sooner or later (having the source open) there will be enthusiast or a group of such that will have a go at the code. Drivers are the limiting factor. It's cool some suggest the money would be better spent at 100% open device, but we know results of such endeavours. Very much disappointing/lacking. Having a fully working (at N900 level at least) stack would be something worth focusing energy/money on. Having all those: we're gonna bring you heaven by different approach projects that fail sooner or later gives us nothing. Freemantle (or bought up mantle) could result in cool things. Would be a matter of reverse engineering drivers for one device that is most open, most cool at the time. Now we have to do all reveng for all devices/drivers or pray. Porting open component would be just a recompile.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
szopin, don't You realize that all "let's buy it from Nokia or hire people to reverse engineer it" ideas are so expensive, that it's cheaper to design our own, 100% open device from scratch (with possibility of using existing open or mostly open devices as implementation references).

BTW, starting with less than 1GB of RAM is not worth the effort - seriously. Yet, it is totally off-topic here.

/Estel
It may be cheaper, but also totally fail for now. So while you might put 1$ at failed program, it is not an argument, tell me of a succesfull reveng program and how much it cost. With fully open base costs should decrease dramatically. Your argument is: it is so costly, noone ever done it, so lets build a device from scratch, which accidentaly also was never achieved by anyone in a satisfactory fashion... how can you compare price???

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
all this hardware seeking is exactly why i think NOKIA is Maemo's only chance
traditional GNU/Linux distros don't have that problem as they are running on a standard PC, as they are sold by 100s of thousands every day.
even a small project like Trinity Desktop Environment (the continuation of KDE 3.5.10 since KDE upgraded to KDE 4) can survive, only with one dedicated coordinator, a bunch of ppl helping directly and the open source community contributing... they know for 100% sure TDE will run on a standard PC, even with proprietary video card, as long as they remain in line with the x86 / x86_64 architecture.
this simply does not exist for mobiles or Internet Tablets, alas.
thus the dependance upon a manufacturer, in Maemo's case NOKIA.
for the better or the worse
Which is exactly why opensourcing maemo code could change a few things. Once we get ARM (with erratas) working, all future processors are a go (or is ARM going anywhere?). Sure drivers are the limiting factor, but once they are the ONLY limiting factor maemo on any hardware can be a reality. Things in mobile world do not change from atari to amiga to pc all the time. Tegras etc will be a problem, still paying for reveng of drivers would be much less costly than expecting whole system on each and every device (also upstream all reveng'es to linux kernel and more people will join this community, no?)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
I am the only heavy Harmattan user that is a council candidate, we need a voice in the council.

Filled out my responses to community posed questions:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...e_declarations
no, youre not Iam a heavy Harmattan user (and dev) aswell, but agree, either way we need Harmattan voices in the council.
Filled out my responses on the Wiki also, but mainly we need representatiion of Harmattan. AND better involvement in the community by Nokia. Which I strongly believe is possible, given the right communication links (I do have some ideas on where to go and ask)

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
It may be cheaper, but also totally fail for now. So while you might put 1$ at failed program, it is not an argument, tell me of a succesfull reveng program and how much it cost. With fully open base costs should decrease dramatically. Your argument is: it is so costly, noone ever done it, so lets build a device from scratch, which accidentaly also was never achieved by anyone in a satisfactory fashion... how can you compare price???
To be honest, I don't see any sensible argument, why creating device from scratch should be more fail, compared to Your ideas. At least, we have some predecessors (Open Pandora, Raspberry Pi, etc), while no one *ever* 100% reverse-engineered device like N900.

If, by some unbelievable miracle, You would have enough money to buy/reverse-engineer/whatever way open N900 "Stack" fully, it would be much better spent creating new device, running mainstream debian, archlinuxor whatsnot. For that money, probably 2 or 3 of them, in straight line

You're saying that developing own device is "we will bring You heaven" - to be honest, IMO ideas of fully opening N900/N9/whatever proprietary device You have in hand are even more unrealistic - basically, it just *won't* happen, ever. Probably, no matter how much time/money You spent on it.

don't get me wrong - as You probably noticed, I love N900. Yet, projects like CSSU/kernel-power are best we can achieve. There is no feasible way to go through/around closed hardware-specific bits. Ask any developer with brain and common sense. Period.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
To be honest, I don't see any sensible argument, why creating device from scratch should be more fail, compared to Your ideas. At least, we have some predecessors (Open Pandora, Raspberry Pi, etc), while no one *ever* 100% reverse-engineered device like N900.
Exactly. You're comparing failed (maybe not PI, lets give it some time to mature) projects vs never reached open-source maemo at any stage. Sure go for Nemo or Openmoko, see how this is fruitless? With Fremantle you got _everything_ working, not 65% +/- one component or two...

If, by some unbelievable miracle, You would have enough money to buy/reverse-engineer/whatever way open N900 "Stack" fully, it would be much better spent creating new device, running mainstream debian, archlinuxor whatsnot. For that money, probably 2 or 3 of them, in straight line
Why not both? Once you got control (source) of maemo you can go whichever way you wish (more debian? why not, arch? your decision) How about you come up with amount you need to provide us two working/cool devices??? I bet with 1/10th of the cost we can come up with new chinese stars of reverse engineering to open up the rest (that is needed for FREEmantle at least), they are still cheap while VERY productive.
You're saying that developing own device is "we will bring You heaven" - to be honest, IMO ideas of fully opening N900/N9/whatever proprietary device You have in hand are even more unrealistic - basically, it just *won't* happen, ever. Probably, no matter how much time/money You spent on it.

don't get me wrong - as You probably noticed, I love N900. Yet, projects like CSSU/kernel-power are best we can achieve. There is no feasible way to go through/around closed hardware-specific bits. Ask any developer with brain and common sense. Period.

/Estel
Thinking oldways. Think in new ways, open your mind for real possibilities. Don't claim failed projects banish all open thinking, they failed for their own reasons. This is what we need in council, oppenness for new ideas as old gave us fu..hit.

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down