Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by archzai View Post

I have a really hard time using the GPS though, its quite slowly and clunkyish, anyone have any recommendations on how to use it better and/or if there are custom made GPS?
Have you tried switching 'settings/location/location server' from supl.nokia.com to supl.google.com. Not sure if this will work where you live but it sped up gps locks for me.

Disclaimer: Google says this server is not guaranteed to be around always as it is for testing but it is better while it lasts, at least in the states. Worth a try, maybe there are other supl servers out there..

Cheers,
Fred

I still enjoy my N900. Especially excited about FCamera. I can't imagine that another device will come along in the next year that will be so compelling that I'd switch. And bring on the cheap used N900s.

(Nokia, please put out Ovi Maps with turn-by-turn for Maemo.)

Each to their own !

There will always be the next model new on the shelf.

Have you looked at the htc desire etc.
Yes its thin but i cant make my mind up wether I want to use it or put my dinner on it and use it as a plate !

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by acvetkov View Post
Comparing a hardware with 1 year difference And you want the older to be better? Really?
Dude. It's been 9 months and faster/better hardware had already been out almost immediately after the N900 came out.

Speaking to the issues of multitasking--well, that's what you get when you multitask on ANYTHING (be it Maemo, Android, desktop Linux, Windows, etc.). When you use up resources, you start to see it crawl. On Maemo, you would do well to remain cognizant of too many open apps. On Android, I never see a slow down because I have an App Killer monitoring my system for apps I want to permit multitasking all the time, and automatically time-out kills apps I don't permit to run in the background all the time. So, it manages FOR me even when I don't yet notice any slowness. Maybe there's a similar sort of "you're not really using this background app, do you want me to close it?" sort of tool for the N900? Or maybe someone could write one up. Would be terribly handy on a small system like this.

Originally Posted by kenga View Post
I disappointed in N900 because it full of disgraceful bugs.
Even main use cases are failed. And I read a lot of "Not going to be fixed in Maemo" in bugtracker.
Going to sell as soon as possible and forget the whole nokia as terrible dream.
Seems like Anssi Vanjoki (and Nokia) want to "fight back" with customers.
I'm not sure that the sentiment is entirely accurate about how buggy it is, but I will wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment about Maemo's WONTFIX and Nokia's neglecting customers. For all those people who claim that this isn't the place to complain, where else do you discuss the incredible WONTFIX and FIXED IN [next OS] issues, then?

Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Yes its thin but i cant make my mind up wether I want to use it or put my dinner on it and use it as a plate !
Heh.. you've seen the YouTube videos on using the iPad as a sushi platter, then?

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i dont understand why everyone says my phone is soo laggy hmm what can i do?maybe i open a thread!!??
if i see that something is wrong with my phone i start to investigate.
for the rotation speed-transition control or modify the transition.conf
for faster and easier reboot-make a shortcut in your status area
trust me for every issue with this phone there is a way to solve it.
i dont wanna flame you.
BUT THIS IS A GEEK/PRO PHONE.
in the wrong hands it can be slow as a n97.
in the right hands it can be a mother****in monster.
so if you dont want to work on your phone,to spend time for it,to mess a little bit around with it.

BUY ANOTHER PHONE.

my 2 cents........

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
And that "go buy another phone" mantra, if enough people listened to you, will benefit you how?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
And that "go buy another phone" mantra, if enough people listened to you, will benefit you how?
and that pointless posting will benefit you how???

and btw i dont need to benefit from that

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This thread makes me wonder one thing... why are people buying multiple N900's?

I don't buy more than one refrigerator, nor other gadgets (computers do not count). And the secondary phone I have isn't even a feature phone, it's my boring replacement of a phone, a Motorola F3 that I keep around just in case.

what do you mean with multiple?why someone would want to have 2?????
confused......

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This thread makes me wonder one thing... why are people buying multiple N900's
I'd like to have at least 2, one for everyday must-have-it-for stuff and a second for backup and just to experiment with. Maybe to try MeeGo or new alpha/beta apps, etc. Stuff I can't or don't dare try on my gotta-have-it-working unit.

Probably will get another when the used price gets low enough.
Registered Linux user #266531.