Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I don't think that's what he meant.. or at least hope not.

I would image he simply means we cannot add third party repositories ourselves in the "closed" mode operation of the device. Where someone said above that people will make their own repositories instead of using extras if it's not the official repo.

So, essentially if Extras is enabled by default then users will be able to use it in closed mode (regardless of DRM, I would hope...) .. whereas if it is not - then users would be unable to add it.
Reading a tad more into it. "Extras" by default would not require a Mobile Operator to make a decision to include it on their distributed devices. They would have to make a conscience effort to exclude it.
If these devices are provided by the Mobile Operators in the "closed" mode then a customer might have to go through the additional cumbersome, and possibly shady steps of "unlocking" the device before they would have access to community developed applications.

What little I once knew about such things was before Apple changed the nature of relationships between Mobile Operators and Manufactures. All of this is supposition on my part. Depending on Nokia's agreements with them, Mobile Operators may even be compelled to provide all Nokia Default applications and repositories.

If these suppositions are correct then that would be a horse of a different color. With "Extras" enabled by default, community developed applications would have a pipeline to all users and the answer to the question now becomes a "no brainer".

My apologies to the developers and others who saw this earlier.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This is unrelated to DRM. The Security Framework also observes the location of repositories. It is possible to configure it to forbid the installation of unknown repos.

For what is worth MeeGo, that also has this Security Framework, will have Extras (or whatever is the name for the meego.com community repo) enabled by default. MeeGo vendors will still be free to override this default with their own settings.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
What about the QA prozesses at the Ovi store?

Will the meego part get a more open and transparent system?

Tags
extras, extras-testing, harmattan