Active Topics

Hi,

I was doing some test with this script and I found some interesting things. Unless my N810 is slower than other N810 the Script doesn't is realistic about codecs and video data rates.

My test video: Get Smart HD 1080 from Apple Page

Results:
I followed the commands used at the blog that tested it too, my main goal was produce a plyable video form an HD source.

The commnad:
Code:
transcode -v -i Get_Smart.mov -f h264 -q 8
It resulted on a video at 1500 Kbps using h264 codec. Audio was transcoded to AAC at 128 Kbps 44.1 Khz and using mp4 container downsized to 352x208.

When I tried this movie in my Tablet the video stops and freezes in some segments, those where bitrate is near or about 1 Mbps. (played using Mplayer and included Nokia Media Player)

If this script optimize and tweak the video transcoding for get played right in our tablets, how can be possible that this video can't be played without issues?

I just want to know if this behaviour is not weird or I'm having any other issue with my tablet.

BTW: I used few transcoders: memcoder, VLC, FFMPEG and MPEG Streamclip. (All transcoders produced the same "issue")

Regards,

Taguapire.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
That bitrate is almost certainly too high for the tablet to handle on a codec as complex as h.264.

Personally, it was exactly this faffing which lead me to introduce the preset feature on tablet-encode - which has since been picked up by Urho's Media Converter and Nokia's own Internet Tablet Video Conveter.

Optimising each individiual video for the best possible quality when I'm likely to be watching it on a train or plane doesn't make sense to me. I just want to convert 'n' go.

The Following User Says Thank You to aflegg For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I gave a try to that script and it did work beautiful. Every trailer transcoded from HD source looks pretty good in my N810. Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Taguapire.