Active Topics

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
To me it reads more like a confirmation there will be at least yet another GVM update.

I can only say thank you, whoever wrote that at Access!
I second that!
I wish they would increase the dynamic memory heap upper limit to 16MB, there are many apps I tried that needed a little extra memory to run... maybe this way they would increase the compatibility percentage up to 95%

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I have all but 2 of my apps on SD.
dl the beta 5 (1.0.4b...2008OS), click to install via AppManager.

After installation, all my apps are still there...that is a welcome change from previous update. now I am playing with it

bun
If you mean that the 2 applications you had installed "inside" GVM are still there, then this change means a huge improvement in usability. I could just keep upgrading GVM when there's a new one, instead of doing all the work again and again. Which I had decided not to do, if the next one came with an expiration date. Which it did.

Originally Posted by JustNick View Post
I second that!
I wish they would increase the dynamic memory heap upper limit to 16MB, there are many apps I tried that needed a little extra memory to run... maybe this way they would increase the compatibility percentage up to 95%
It's a bit strange that some applications would need that much heap memory. As far as I know the T3 was the device with the largest heap memory, 12 MB. The TX, for example, had much less heap (4MB I think), even though it's a newer device. If there are applications that need more than 4, not to say 12 megabytes, how could they ever run on a real Palm?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
AFAIK the later Treos had a bit more of dynamic heap.

Is this build _really_ more stable or is just a placebo? I can repeatedly tap outside a modal window to make GVM beep consistently, which is something that used to crash / beep inconsistently in previous versions.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
does this build run on the n900 like the previous one?

I installed the Beta5 (1.04b) and then the Audible Player from the memory card. I was able to logon to my account and download an audiobook and play it. Then I closed and started it a few times and it didn't crash and reset the storage.

"At last!" I thought. Audible on my N810. Then a tried to start the calculator and it crashed and lost everything. I need to try installing to memory card instead of the internal storage. Still. promising so far.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
GVM beta 5 updated/installed without problem on 2007He, pick the 2007 Os N800.

Edit: and yes, hotsync, todo, address outlook without problem, 770/20007He

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-11-25 at 14:22.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by treofant View Post
Wake up, itīs mentioned already:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=garnet
OMG! Two threads on the same topic! The forum will crash!

As one who is far more interested in Garnet VM on my N810 than I am in whether or not Joe's N900 has shipped, can I suggest you go pester the N900 forum? If you want to point people to another thread opened on the same day to point out breaking news, please be polite.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
It's a bit strange that some applications would need that much heap memory. As far as I know the T3 was the device with the largest heap memory, 12 MB. The TX, for example, had much less heap (4MB I think), even though it's a newer device. If there are applications that need more than 4, not to say 12 megabytes, how could they ever run on a real Palm?
12MB is still a 50% more than our 8MB limit, and as Javispedro pointed out already latest Treos used to have a larger heap...
On real devices there are apps to optimize and maximize the heap size to run heavier apps, but I guess that on a VM this could cause stability issues and given that we can run apps directly from command line with various tweaks I see no harm in having a bigger dynamic heap IMHO

Tags
garnet, palm