Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
... First attempt was a failure, but I only tried a keyboard and did not check XTerminal for the dmesg. I'll give it another go this weekend and report back.

At least there are pretty pictures in the post.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Host mode seems to be disabled in n800 kernel configuration, if nokia build the kernel from the source and configuration file available on maemo.org there is zero chance for it to work. But still please do try, miracles happen.

I guess for further experiments at least kernel recompilation is needed with enabled usb host mode side of the drivers (they are present in the source but disabled in kernel config)

Hi,

Jakub Pavelek from Nokia said on the maemo dev mailling list (here) that the HW connector of the N800 doesn't handle the USB OTG .

I got a tip in my blog comments about fixing xterm (I used the wrong repository) so I'll fix that tonight and do more testing.

maybe it's easier to load the 770 firmware with usbhost mode enabled on the n800, and then check if it's working, than recompile the kernel again?

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Yalp View Post
Hi,

Jakub Pavelek from Nokia said on the maemo dev mailling list (here) that the HW connector of the N800 doesn't handle the USB OTG .
Neither did the connector on the 770's. Switching to host/client mode manaully is quite different from USB OTG support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
What pisses me off is I ordered a Y cable a battery powered USB hub and Female to Female converter. Plugged in my 770 switched on host mode, and I had USB devices. I used it one time and sent off my 770 for repair, I never got it back, nokia gave me cash and I bought an N800.

Now I am stuck waiting for someone to compile in support and hopefully it can be, or I can buy a 770 or sell my USB equipment. Hopefully someone will hook it up soon. Sometime when I am at work locations I can get wires, but not wireless. I find it almost impossible to believe that the hardware support is not in there.

Is there actual hardware that would support host mode and slave mode, or is it just firmware and drivers that change it between master and slave?

Someone DID compile USB support and sent me a little HOWTO on it. I've been waiting for the time to analyze it properly and clarify the howto. Do you want me to privately send you what he sent me in the meantime?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I would like to see what you have I have been trying to compile the kernel with the support all day, and I keep failing

I was looking at this, OTG is definetly supported on this thing, but I can not get past compilation errors on usb host mode. Is it just me or if there a fix for the driver?

The device can function as both a reduced function
USB host controller (with a customer developed target peripheral list) as well as a
standard USB high-speed peripheral device.
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/sllb095/sllb095.pdf

CC drivers/usb/musb/musb_host.o
drivers/usb/musb/musb_host.c: In function `__musb_giveback':
drivers/usb/musb/musb_host.c:286: error: too few arguments to function `usb_hcd_
giveback_urb'
make[2]: *** [drivers/usb/musb/musb_host.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/usb/musb] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

So clost but yet so far!!!

Probably not the smartest way to do it, but I was able to get the kernel to compile by adding an argument of NULL to musb_host.c line 286's call to usb_hcd_giveback_urb'...

Robert Vogt IV
Caflor