I use AT&T with the iPhone plan (I had an iPhone 2G and just kept the contract going with the N900 when the 2-years were up). The data speed is often so slow that it isn't worth bothering with but with T-Mobile you can easily find yourself roaming and paying more... If you can deal with needing to wait 15 minutes for a page to load (that was how long it took for the PeterPanBus website to load with 98% reception in the middle of Brookline, MA) at times than you'd be better with AT&T as you'll pretty much always have coverage. If you never leave the city then T-Mobile is better as you'll have 3G coverage. If you leave the city expect to loose signal or at the very least end up roaming and paying more for it.

Just to state this clearly, in the States...

The N900 supports: WCDMA 900/1700/2100, Quad-band EGSM 850/900/1800/1900

3G data on the N900 is only available of T-Mobile (on the 1700 band iirc)

The N900 is an unlocked quad-band GSM phone, so it is capable of voice/sms/2.5g data working on all two nation-wide GSM carriers in the Continental US: T-Mobile & AT&T. I am unaware of other regional GSM networks and not well informed on the various MVNOs.

I have been on T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go (voice/sms) since 2004. If you are just getting started, get the sim with 10 starter minutes ($7 from T-Mobile, a bit less on Amazon Marketplace). If you buy less than a $100 block of minutes you pay more per minutes and they only last 30 to 90 days before you must refill again (which rolls over all unused minutes).

The cheapest thing to do is buy the $100 refill right away (available from calling T-Mobile, on T-Mobile's website, or a scratch-off prepaid card from any number of retailers) this will get you 1000 minutes (SMS send/receive: $0.10) that will not expire for 1 year. If you still have a lot of unused minutes when the year is up, then you can go ahead and buy as little as $10 of minutes to extend all your minutes for another year, though minutes you bought with the $10 are more expensive per minute (though $50 gets you an attractive $0.11/min). Of the major US carriers, T-Mobile has the cheapest prepaid voice for a non-heavy user (possibly heavy too).

T-Mobile has some attractive prepaid voice+data that I have eyed in case I need data for a couple months (on travel).

Many others can speak more informedly about data plans.